[BerkeleyDailyPlanet] Where are we going and why?

Updates from the Berkeley Daily Planet berkeleydailyplanet at lists.sonic.net
Sat Aug 28 14:21:06 PDT 2021

Readers might wonder why the organization of the Planet’s front page has
been looking different somehow lately.  The answer is that I’ve decided to
try to free myself from the tyranny of the deadline.  As you might or might
not know, I’m working with legacy software which is now more than two
decades old, designed for a publication that was originally in print but
never actually daily.  The name is cute, really cuter than my own taste,
but we own the URL, and we have something like a thousand subscribers, the
grandiose name for people who like to get emails with a list of links
instead of looking at the front page, so we’ll keep it for now.  That’s the
editorial “we” by the way, since everything you see has been donated by the
authors. I handle the editorial duties and Mike O’Malley provides tech
consultation and processes the graphics.  We have almost all opinion, not
“news” in the traditional impartial fact-checked sense, though if something
seems dubious to me I just don’t post it.  We welcome submissions as Word
documents which are best for conversion to our format.  These days if you
look at the front page you’ll see “Editorial”, “Columns”, “Arts and
Events”, “Extra” and “Obituaries” as categories.  Articles will be posted
as they come in, and these letters to subscribers will be sent from time to
time, approximately randomly until further notice.   Editorial: UC
Berkeley's plan to pave paradise and put up a parking lot is on hold for a
bit
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49365?headline=UC-Berkeley-s-plan-to-pave-paradise-and-put-up-a-parking-lot-is-on-hold-for-a-bit--Becky-O-Malley>
 *08-25-2021*

hBC4BP suit filed
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49366?headline=BC4BP-suit-filed---press-release-from-Arlene-Silk-Berkeley-Citizens-for-a-Better-Plan>*press
release from Arlene Silk, Berkeley Citizens for a Better Plan* *08-26-2021*

An Open Letter Mourning the Demise of Milvia Street
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49363?headline=An-Open-Letter-Mourning-the-Demise-of-Milvia-Street--Michael-Katz>
 *Michael Katz* *08-25-2021*

Jesse Arreguin's Infamous Play
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49364?headline=Jesse-Arreguin-s-Infamous-Play--Carol-Denney>
 *Carol Denney* *08-25-2021*

Berkeley must freeze enrollment following court decision Monday
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49357?headline=Berkeley-must-freeze-enrollment-following-court-decision-Monday--Keith-Burbank-Bay-City-News>
 *Keith Burbank, Bay City News* *08-24-2021*

Flash: In sweeping legal victory for Berkeley Neighbors, Judge rules that
UC Berkeley must freeze enrollment until it complies with Environmental Law
and mitigates growth impacts
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49355?headline=In-sweeping-legal-victory-for-Berkeley-Neighbors-Judge-rules-that-UC-Berkeley-must-freeze-enrollment-until-it-complies-with-Environmental-Law-and-mitigates-growth-impacts--Save-Berkeley-s-Neighborhoods-press-release->
 *Save Berkeley's Neighborhoods (press release)* *08-24-2021*

The City of Berkeley--UC Berkeley Agreement
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49356?headline=The-City-of-Berkeley--UC-Berkeley-Agreement--Mayor-Jesse-Arreguin>
 *Mayor Jesse Arreguin* *08-24-2021*

California Universities ReOpen in Person; Will Delta Push Students Back to
Zoom?
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49354?headline=California-Universities-ReOpen-in-Person-Will-Delta-Push-Students-Back-to-Zoom---Ashley-Smith-Michael-Burke-Bay-City-News-Partner-and-EdSource>
 *Ashley Smith, Michael Burke, Bay City News Partner and EdSource*
*08-23-2021*

Second Suit Challenges UC Berkeley's Long Range Plans and Projects,
including People's Park
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49353?headline=Second-Suit-Challenges-UC-Berkeley-s-Long-Range-Plans-and-Projects-including-People-s-Park-->
 *08-23-2021*

Press Release: Community Groups Sue UC Berkeley for Excessive Growth
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49351?headline=Community-Groups-Sue-UC-Berkeley-for-Excessive-Growth--Harvey-Smith>
 *Harvey Smith* *08-22-2021*

Too Many Knees On Our Necks
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49348?headline=Too-Many-Knees-On-Our-Necks--Jack-Bragen>
 *Jack Bragen* *08-22-2021*

A Berkeley Activist's Diary
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49343?headline=A-Berkeley-Activist-s-Diary--Kelly-Hammargren>
 *Kelly Hammargren* *08-16-2021*

Let’s Defeat SB 9 and 10 and Find Better Housing Solutions
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49342?headline=Let-s-Defeat-SB-9-and-10-and-Find-Better-Housing-Solutions--Shirley-Dean-Former-Mayor-of-Berkeley>
 *Shirley Dean, Former Mayor of Berkeley* *08-15-2021*

Dorothy M. Snodgrass
1923 - 2021
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49359?headline=Dorothy-M.-Snodgrass-br-1923---2021--Carolyn-Lake>
 *Carolyn Lake* *08-25-2021*

Atemu Aton
1958-2020
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49358?headline=Atemu-Aton-br-1958-2020--Nora-Handel-Aton>
 *Nora Handel Aton* *08-25-2021*

Michael Morgan
1957-2021
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49346?headline=Michael-Morgan-br-1957-2021--from-Dina-A.-Bartello-for-the-Oakland-Symphony>
 *from Dina A. Bartello, for the Oakland Symphony* *08-20-2021*
Columns

AN ACTIVIST'S DIARY
Week Ending 8-22
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49361?headline=AN-ACTIVIST-S-DIARY-br-Week-Ending-8-22--Kelly-Hammargren>
 *Kelly Hammargren* *08-25-2021*

ECLECTIC RANT:
Fighting Covid-19 and Stupidity
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49360?headline=ECLECTIC-RANT-br-Fighting-Covid-19-and-Stupidity--Ralph-E.-Stone>
 *Ralph E. Stone* *08-25-2021*

SMITHEREENS: Reflections on Bits & Pieces
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49352?headline=SMITHEREENS-Reflections-on-Bits-Pieces--Gar-Smith->
 *Gar Smith 08-22-2021*

ON MENTAL ILLNESS: Physical Health is an Uphill Climb
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49349?headline=ON-MENTAL-ILLNESS-Physical-Health-is-an-Uphill-Climb--Jack-Bragen>
 *Jack Bragen* *08-22-2021*

THE PUBLIC EYE:
The Tragedy of Afghanistan
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49347?headline=THE-PUBLIC-EYE-br-The-Tragedy-of-Afghanistan--Bob-Burnett>
 *Bob Burnett* *08-22-2021*

THE PUBLIC EYE: Biden’s Big Infrastructure Win
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49341?headline=THE-PUBLIC-EYE-Biden-s-Big-Infrastructure-Win--Bob-Burnett>
 *Bob Burnett* *08-15-2021*

ON MENTAL ILLNESS: The Hard Realities of No More Stimulus Money
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49340?headline=ON-MENTAL-ILLNESS-The-Hard-Realities-of-No-More-Stimulus-Money--Jack-Bragen>
 *Jack Bragen* *08-15-2021*

SMITHEREENS: Reflections on Bits & Pieces
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49339?headline=SMITHEREENS-Reflections-on-Bits-Pieces--Gar-Smith>
 *Gar Smith* *08-15-2021*
Arts & Events

Kalil Wilson Quartet--Jazz Song, Saturday at 8, the All-New Sound Room in
Oakland
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49362?headline=Kalil-Wilson-Quartet--Jazz-Song-Saturday-at-8-the-All-New-Sound-Room-in-Oakland--Ken-Bullock>
 *Ken Bullock* *08-25-2021*

The Berkeley Activist's Calendar
August 22-29
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49350?headline=The-Berkeley-Activist-s-Calendar-br-August-22-29--Kelly-Hammargren>
 *Kelly Hammargren* *08-22-2021*

The Berkeley Activist's Calendar
<https://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2021-08-15/article/49338?headline=The-Berkeley-Activist-s-Calendar--Kelly-Hammargren-Sustainable-Berkeley-Coalition>
 *Kelly Hammargren, Sustainable Berkeley Coalition* *08-15-2021*