[HECnet] Introducing myself... and my little network

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 7 12:06:48 PDT 2012

On 06/07/2012 06:48 AM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:
Jordi,
You wrote that the NIC on the 4000-90 was broken. Did you try an
external transceiver on the AUI connector (there's a switch on the back).
An Alllied Telesys or DEC transceiver might solve the issue. The logic
that drives the BNC connector is on a separate module IIRC.

I didn't. Actually, I thought you needed a thickwire segment to use a
transceiver and a drop cable. I should have researched it better. Any
idea of the DEC name for that thinwire transceiver?

  (please forgive me for jumping in)

  Welcome!

  DEC sold 10base2 transceivers called "DESTA" (for Digital Ethernet
STation Adapter, I think) but it's so large that you'll need an AUI
cable to connect it.   Others, from many different manufacturers, are
small enough to plug right onto the AUI connector.   These are far more
common.

  In my museum collection I have an internal DEC prototype of the DESTA.

  Perhaps more conveniently, there are also of course a great many
10baseT transceivers out there that will plug directly onto an AUI
connector, small enough to not require an AUI cable.

Oh, thanks. As I said, I've plenty of "modern" stuff, but I miss some of
the older software I used back in those days (pre-5.0), a (call it
nostalgia) I'm quite trying to reproduce that first environment I worked
on. Right now, I miss:

  Will pre-5.0 VMS run on a 4000-90?   I don't recall when NVAX CPU
support was added to VMS.