[HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Sun Oct 28 11:38:47 PDT 2012

El 28/10/2012, a les 18:18, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> va escriure:
DECmail is also installed but not configured. And I may've just figured out why DECnet wasn't working, I'm going to go read the documentation and post back.

Okay, I've   maybe made progress.

Alpha connecting to the RSTS/E system:
$ set host 33.301
%SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node

And on 33.301:
Event type 34.1, Object spawn failure
Occurred 15-Oct-25 13:11:52.6 on node 33.301 (GEWT1)
Reason: Unknown Object identification
Source node = 33.302
Source process = 0 556 0 SYSTEM
Destination process = 42

(I have no idea what's with the 15-OCT-25, the date is set correctly on the system   )

Attempting to reach 33.302 from 33.301:
$ set host 33.302
Connection Established to VAX/VMS Node 33.302

?Unsupported Virtual Terminal Protocol.

And it just times out when the VAX tries to contact the RSTS/E system/RSTS/E system tries to contact the VAX. VAX and ALPHA can reach each other and the Alpha can reach HECnet via the VAX

Any ideas?

RSTS does not support the CTERM protocol. It needs the old RTERM. I'm not sure if VMS Alpha supports it. VMS VAX 7.3 does:

$ set host/app=rterm bitxot
%REM-I-CONNECTION, connection made using RTERM protocol
%REM-I-REMOTE, connection established to remote node BITXOT::
RSTS V10.1-L 28-Oct-12 19:37
User: 200,1
Password:
Last interactive login on 28-Oct-12, 19:36      at KB37:
Last non-interactive login on 06-Jun-12, 00:59

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES