[HECnet] My newest toy

Stuart Martin wavey at wavey.org
Sun Jan 13 01:52:11 PST 2013

On 13 January 2013 09:34, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

On 13 Jan 2013, at 00:39, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

> "Rob Jarratt" <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>> I have just been logging on to someone else's DS10L today to work on my
>> DECnet router. It is the first time I have used one of these and it
>> seems really fast to me. I want one now.....
>
> And Integrity boxes are even faster.

For the amount of electricity they use they sodding well ought to be too!!

I couldn't be happier with the DS10L's performance (mine is the one Rob's been using). It does make a little too much noise, but even the missus has become used to it being on the whole time in our study. It also running with a shadowset on the system disk, which does noticeably slow it down.

I'd like an itanium, but I haven't heard of one which is reasonable enough on the power front to warrant being on for extended periods of time. The DS10L is around 180W, which is not *too* bad.