[HECnet] Anyone got TOPS-20 / Ultrix with DECNET SIMH image ready to run?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jun 12 16:22:49 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-12 17:18, Clem Cole wrote:
below

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
<mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:

              The last release of Ultrix was something like 4.6 (I'll have the
              check
              my notes, but I'm traveling) - and on PMAX and VAX.

      V4.5 was the last.

Ok, that sounds right, I remembered that their was something post the
R4000 work (V4.4), but I'd forgotten how many.

I think V4.5 only came about because of some Y2K issues. I don't think there was anything else meaningful in there as compared to V4.4.

              Over the course of time, Ultrix ran on:     PDP-11 models with a
              MMU both
              with and without separated I/D space, most of not all of the Vaxen
              (except for the 9000 I believe), and MIPS 2K,3K,4K systems that
              Digital
              made.

      Actually, if I remember right, the 9000 is supported by Ultrix.
      However, the 7000/10000 systems are not. But I might also be
      remembering things wrong.

I think you are remembering correctly on both accounts.     I remember
their was a push by the OS team to decommit Ultrix in favor of what
would become Tru64 (aka OSF/1) started around that time.

Sounds likely. I bet there was some interesting times at that point.

Also, Ultrix-11 don't have a strong relationship with Ultrix that runs on VAXen or Mips machines.