[HECnet] Hooking up DECUSERVE / EISNER to HECnet?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Sep 26 15:22:41 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 03:48:45PM +0200, Sampsa Laine wrote:

The problem is that if you want to be paranoid, then you should not be connected to HECnet at all.

I'm not THAT paranoid, I actually do give out accounts on CHIMPY (after vetting) and HILANT, but the Deathrow Cluster guys included some pretty dubious "security researchers" that I'd rather keep off my LAN.

Think of the Deathrow guys as the NSA. If they want access to your LAN,
they already have it. :)

I don't really care about the DECNET side of it, more the fact that they'd be inside my IP firewall - and putting my DECNET stuff in a separate VLAN is just way too much hassle.

I have things on a separate VLAN but currently it's not firewalled. I
should probably set that up.

Of course if I had actual machines running it would be worth doing. :)

-brian