[HECnet] Configuring py-decnet. --> Tops20 patches

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 16:32:11 PDT 2020

Yes and No.

MRC and I go way back and some of my patches are in fact already adopted
in the current PANDA distribution.

Unfortunately, he's passed, so now I have nobody to give them to.  The
list of changes are in the attached file, which regretably doesn't
always name the subsystem being updated.  I was the Galaxy guru back in
the day, so the first thing I did was put in those changes that I had
(tediously) SPR'ed in the '80' s which never made it in.  MRC took all
of those.  I took up maintenance of FTP and put in passive mode (which
it had lacked) and changed it to be somewhat more tolerant of some of
more truely brain damaged FTP servers out there.  MRC took all of these.

The Tops-20 FTP client was in far better shape than the FTP server,
which was some early BBN code that used the JCN interface (think
sockets) and not the JFN interface.  I kept slogging away at it until I
realized that it was a lost cause and rewrote it from scratch in
Extended Mode.  That new server has a %1,500 speed improvement and can
be configured to lie that it is a Unix host for brain damaged graphical
clients and Emacs Tramp.  Yep, it will parse ls switches which are
documented in NO STANDARD WHATSOEVER...

I was nearly done with it and was just putting the finishing touches on
it when MRC passed.  I had done regression tests with dozens of FTP
clients and just had a buffering issue to work out when receiving paged
file types.

Anyhow, don't let the arcane style put you off, some of these are major
fixed.

I've got some major enhancements to the mail system to finish off.  Fun
things like implementing the Unix nice command in the EXEC (puts you in
the dregs queue)

I'm at about the same degree of annoyance with SETNODE, SETHOST and
something else (I forget).

FAL is an interesting thing to bring up; my local DECnet area (2.) has a
Tops-10 system and I had been looking at both Galaxy and the FAL
subsystem.  Tops-10 GLXLIB appears to have split from Tops-20 and I
found a few things I liked, so I lifted them.

Tops-10 FAL is more closely integrated to Galaxy and I like some of the
functionality that this can provide.

The Tops-20 FAL is a completely different animal which is multi-forking
(that was initially a source of much bugs).  DAP is also substandard,
having no RENAME function and some bugs (which Johnny kindly worked with
me on).

Getting FAL truly right in Tops-20 will require a monitor modification,
but I've gone on too long...