[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Mar 2 10:55:12 PST 2020

On 2020-03-02 19:49, Peter Lothberg wrote:
>> DECnet over "dialup"
>
> If the PyDecnet thing is the TCP listener and ignores the
> source IP address and then just verifies it's a DECnet
> packet with the right area/node id (somekind of new filter
> function), I think we have enough security to get started.

Agreed.

We don't even actually need any DECnet verification. But it can be
enabled. Paul mentioned that PyDECnet supports it. So does VMS and RSX
(although the support in RSX is not really that good.)

But the worst thing that could happen is just someone connecting with
conflicting DECnet addresses, which might mess up HECnet until it is
realized, and the abusing link is shut down. Not exactly the end of the
world...

>> Ham radio...
>
> You can put a DECnet packet in a KISS frame and you have
> a PTP link with callsign identifications if you want. A
> "grapes wd4dsy modem" would make 56Kbit or 112Kbit on
> 432 or 1296.

I have no clue what some of those words even mean. :-)