[Pollinator] Beekeepers in LA

Kimberly Winter nappcoordinator at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:41:31 PDT 2005

NAPPC Friends,

Please help me in getting the word out to beekeepers located in the
Hurricane Katrina zone of Louisiana:

The NAPPC office received word today that the Office of Public Health will
be using Air Force cargo planes to spray for mosquitoes in the Louisiana
flood area.  All beekeepers in the area need to be notified, but many have
listed numbers that officials have been unable to reach by telephone.

The OPH has reportedly posted notices in newspapers, etc. to notify the
public regarding the pesticide spraying in an attempt to reach the
beekeepers, and our friends at the EPA have contacted us to assist them in
reaching our pollinator-friendly partners.

Current discussions are that the pesticide will be a specific application in
accordance with label instructions, yet public health issues will take
precedence over other concerns.

We are hoping that potentially affected beekeepers have already moved their
hives out of the area due to the hurricane itself.

To all those affected by the storm, the subsequent flooding, and the
dangerous environmental conditions following this event, I wish you, your
pets, and your pollinating friends safety and assistance in the rebuilding
of your communities.

Kind regards,

~Kim

Kimberly Winter, Ph.D.
Coordinator, North American Pollinator Protection Campaign
E-mail: NAPPCoordinator at hotmail.com
Internet: www.nappc.org
Ph: (301) 405-2666

Mailing Address: