[Pollinator] Canada, Mexico, U.S. Agree to Protect Butterflies

Ladadams@aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Thu Jul 6 09:23:30 PDT 2006

ENN FULL STORY
Canada, Mexico, U.S. Agree to Protect Butterflies

July 06, 2006 — By Maggie Fox, Reuters
WASHINGTON — Wildlife officials in Mexico, the United States and Canada have
agreed to work together to protect the Monarch butterfly, which makes a
spectacular migration every year from Canada to Mexico.

Officials from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the National Park Service,
Canada's Wildlife Service and Parks Agency and Mexico's Secretariat of the
Environment and Natural Resources have designated 13 wildlife preserves as
protected areas, the Fish and Wildlife Service said Wednesday.

The "Trilateral Monarch Butterfly Sister Protected Area Network" will develop
international projects to preserve and restore breeding, migration and winter
habitat for the orange and black butterflies.

Every autumn, millions of monarchs leave eastern Canada and the United States
and fly distances of 2,800 miles and more to the oyamel fir forests of
Mexico's Sierra Madre Mountains for the winter. Monarchs west of the Rocky Mountains
migrate south to eucalyptus groves in southern California.

The informal agreement will include sharing information about ways to
preserve the habitat and migratory pathways of the butterflies, said Donita Cotter, a
spokeswoman for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

It will not require any legislation.

"I think it's wonderful," Monarch researcher and ecologist Dr. Lincoln Brower
of Sweet Briar College in Virginia said in a telephone interview.

"I think it will make a good symbolic statement."

But Brower said the agreement will do little to preserve the butterflies
unless stronger action is also taken to stop logging in Mexico and to change
farming practices in the United States that are destroying the plants the
butterflies rely on.

"We are going to lose the whole thing if they don't stop this silly illegal
logging in Mexico," Brower said.

Illegal loggers have been destroying the trees in Mexico's Monarch Butterfly
Biosphere Reserve, while development is threatening the California eucalyptus
groves. Brower said there is evidence that heavy use of weedkillers is wiping
out the milkweed plant, which is the only thing that Monarch caterpillars will
eat.

This agreement brings attention to the threats, Brower said. "It is important
that the countries keep up pressure on each other," he said.

Source: Reuters

Contact Info:

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Coevolution Institute
423 Washington St. 5th
San Francisco, CA 94111
415 362 1137
http://www.coevolution.org/
http://www.pollinator.org/
http://www.nappc.org/

Our future flies on the wings of pollinators.