[Pollinator] Whole Foods - Locally Grown

Ladadams@aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 14:25:15 PDT 2006

Whole Foods, taking flak, thinks local
Carol Ness, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Printable Version
Email This Article

"Locally grown produce" is the promise printed on Whole Foods grocery bags
this summer.
Signs and banners hanging in the markets, complete with pictures of smiling
farmers, trumpet the same message. In the produce section, large hand-written
green signs point out Frog Hollow Farm peaches from Brentwood, or T&D Willey
basil grown in Madera.
The truth is, the Whole Foods chain has grown so big -- 184 stores at last
count -- that the bulk of its produce is neither locally grown, nor from smaller
farms like Full Belly and T&D Willey. That's true even in the Bay Area,
despite an abundance of smaller or medium-size and sustainable or organic farms
nearby.
But now Whole Foods, which is big and successful enough to pull the rest of
the supermarket industry along with it, is taking a few steps to change that --
including requiring all its stores to buy "out the back-door" from at least
four individual farmers. Most produce arrives from a regional distribution
center.
The move is one of several the chain is making to bolster its street cred in
response to stinging criticism by influential Berkeley author Michael Pollan
for not walking its talk when it comes to supporting sustainable food systems.
At the same time, Whole Foods feels the fiery breath of Wal-Mart's big move
into the organic market, and needs to keep itself ahead of the pack.
The new initiatives were announced by Whole Foods CEO John Mackey this month
in an extraordinary online conversation with Pollan. (Their exchange can be
read on both men's blogs, wholefoodsmarket.com/blogs/jm/ and by searching
"Mackey" at michaelpollan.com/write.php.)
In addition to buying more from smaller growers, Whole Foods plans to:
-- Give $10 million a year in low-interest loans to help small, local farmers
and producers of grass-fed and humanely raised meat, poultry and dairy
animals.
-- Raise its standards of humane care for the animals who supply meat, eggs
and dairy to the stores. Whole Foods has hired an "animal compassionate field
buyer" to work with producers to ensure that they meet the standards.
-- Set up Sunday farmers' markets in the parking lots of some Whole Foods
stores, including about 10 in Northern California.
In announcing the initiatives, Mackey defended Whole Foods policies of buying
globally, saying it was important to support farmers around the world and
also that he didn't want to dictate values -- such as buying locally -- to
customers. But he conceded that "Whole Foods could and should do more to promote
local agriculture."
He also said animal food suppliers have been resistant to adopting more
humane methods, so "we are going to have to create an alternative animal
compassionate system from the ground up," and he wants to do it locally.
Pollan, in an interview, said he thinks the initiatives are "meaningful."
In his latest best-selling book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma," (Penguin Press,
2006) and in ubiquitous media appearances, he painted Whole Foods as
hypocritical for marketing its organic and sustainable values while, among other things,
buying most of its produce from super-mechanized, monocropping national ag
giants like Earthbound Farm and Cal-Organics/Grimmway -- which he called
"industrial organic."
Whole Foods' new moves, he said, have as much to do with competition as with
his criticisms.
"With Wal-Mart and Safeway getting into their market, they now need to raise
the bar again," he said. "Because selling industrial organic is going to be
nothing special soon."
He added, "The challenge is, can they make it work long term?"
"Locally grown" is the hottest trend in food right now among consumers
concerned with reducing fuel and pollution generated by moving food all over the
world, and with keeping farms in their communities.
Whole Foods' incredible growth and the downward drive of organic food prices
is what has brought things to this turn. From one store in Austin in 1980,
Whole Foods has added stores and bought out a series of small regional natural
food chains, like Sonoma County's Fresh Fields, in 30 states plus Canada and
England. The publicly traded chain has a target of 300 stores and $12 billion in
sales by 2010, up from $4.5 billion last year, according to the company.
"The honest truth is, we found as we grew that it got more difficult and
complex to fulfill our desire to have local organic producers provide our stores
with a steady and reliable supply," said Joe Rogoff, vice president of the
Northern California region, which encompasses 19 stores from Sonoma and Sacramento
south to Fresno. A company spokesperson said that number is projected to
double to 40 by 2010.
Regional produce centers
As it has grown, Whole Foods has built regional produce centers to
consolidate supplies and buy larger amounts at better prices. Instead of buying carrots,
say, from a number of small local farms, it is more efficient and cheaper to
buy from one big producer who might grow anywhere.
Go into any Bay Area Whole Foods store right now, with California's summer
harvest at full bore, and you'll see lots of green signs tagging "locally grown"
produce on the fruits and vegetables prominently displayed in the center of
the produce section.
Flawless Swanton strawberries from Davenport, Alterra blueberries from
Mendocino, squash and eggplant from Wooley Farm in Gridley all make a gorgeous
summer display.
But around the edges of the produce section, the staples -- lettuce,
broccoli, cabbage, bagged baby carrots -- all carry tags from the same big farms --
Earthbound, Cal-Organic and its parent company, Grimmway.
An informal count of fruits and vegetables raised by small local farmers in
five Whole Foods stores in the Bay Area last week found a low of 17 kinds at
the Fourth and Harrison store in San Francisco, to a high of about 40 at San
Rafael, plus several kinds of mushrooms from one grower and herbs from another.
At this time of year, lots of the Earthbound and Cal-Organic produce likely
comes from the Salinas and Central valleys, but labels don't say where most are
grown so they weren't included in the count.
A similar count in a New York City Whole Foods' store, festooned with
"locally grown" banners and photos of farmers, turned up 10 locally grown items, most
of them non-organic. Most everything else came from California. Across the
street, the Union Square farmers' market teemed with locally grown fresh organic
summer fruits and vegetables.
For most of the country, Whole Foods defines "local" as within a 7-hour truck
ride, according to Karen Christensen, regional produce coordinator at Whole
Foods' Northern California headquarters in Emeryville.
"However, in Northern California, the general consumer perception is that it
must be much, much closer," Christensen said.
How local is local?
So here, local means within about a 200-mile radius, stretching north to
Garberville, east to the Nevada state line and south down the Central Valley as
far Reedley, south of Fresno.
In the Bay Area survey, the same local farm names showed up in most stores --
indicating that the farms grow enough of at least one item to sell through
the regional distribution center, which sits in San Francisco's produce
terminal. It sends 60 tons of produce to each store every week.
Christensen said 28 percent of that produce is locally grown, averaged over
the year, including anything Earthbound, Driscoll or the other huge growers
harvest within 200 miles. Comparable numbers weren't available for other regions.
When Whole Foods opened its first Bay Area store in Palo Alto in 1989, stores
had much freer rein to buy unusual varieties or small amounts from individual
farmers.
"We pick and deliver the next day -- it's really fresh," says Judith Redmond,
co-owner of Full Belly Farm, which sold to a number of Bay Area Whole Foods
in the early years. "We got to know what they liked at each store, and we were
able to improvise."
Even after the regional center opened in the early 1990s, she and other
farmers were still able to sell to individual stores. But about six years ago, she
says, word came down from Whole Foods that "we mustn't make these deliveries,
so we stopped doing it."
As a middle-size farm, Full Belly can grow enough tomatoes or melons, for
example, to supply the regional center, she said. But special varieties might be
right for just one or two stores.
"For a smaller farm, I think if they have one relationship with a store
they'll do their best for that store. Those accounts are golden for small farms,"
she says. Selling to Whole Foods is important to small farmers, who otherwise
depend mainly on labor-intensive farmers' markets and Community Supported
Agriculture sales.
Christensen says stores weren't forbidden to buy out the back door, and some,
especially San Rafael, continued to deal with some farmers. But they had
limited spending authority.
And "we haven't made it a priority," Rogoff acknowledged.
"We have people working in our stores who are incredible produce
merchandisers -- they display beautifully, and we hire for that," Rogoff said. Expertise
in buying great local produce hasn't been a priority, he added.
Trying to stay price-competitive means "larger and more regional growers have
taken up more of a percentage than we would like," Rogoff said.
Now, the new initiatives mean every store must establish relationships with
at least four farmers. "Unfortunately, we have to start that low with some
stores," he said.
As soon as Mackey's announcements came down, Full Belly's Redmond heard from
Whole Foods asking her to sell directly to six or seven local stores. She's
focusing on four.
In the bigger picture, she said, Whole Foods has learned that the centralized
model "isn't the whole answer" when it comes to food.
But working small farms back into its system may be tougher than Whole Foods
realizes, Pollan says, especially with increased competition from
price-cutting giants.
On the other hand, he says, "If they can find an efficient way to deal, I
think that's very important" to small and sustainable agriculture.
Whole Foods' loans to small agriculture could prove an important component.
Loans of $10 million a year could help develop a sustainable system by
underwriting things like organic certification, or funding a slaughterhouse so
small-scale sustainable ranchers can sell to markets, Rogoff says.
Pointed questions
Pollan, meanwhile, plans to respond to Mackey's initiatives with questions
about how, exactly, all this will work.
"I think he's looking to raise the bar again, and that's good," Pollan said.
"I really felt there was a strong streak of idealism in our conversation."
But, he pointed out, the very public exchange was also very clever marketing
-- something at which Whole Foods excels.
"Doing it this way gave the whole effort a lot more credibility in the eyes
of the sustainable food movement," he said.
What remains to be seen, he said, is how far Whole Foods will go to meet the
promise of those summertime grocery bag slogans and store signs.
E-mail Carol Ness at cness at sfchronicle.com.

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Coevolution Institute
423 Washington St. 5th
San Francisco, CA 94111
415 362 1137
http://www.coevolution.org/
http://www.pollinator.org/
http://www.nappc.org/

Our future flies on the wings of pollinators.