[Pollinator] Value of honeybees to U.S. agriculture - request for info

Kimberly Winter nappcoordinator at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 06:53:34 PDT 2006

Dear Partners and Friends of NAPPC:

Would you be able to help us update our references regarding the value of
bees to U.S. agriculture?

It appears that most estimates are given state-by-state by beekeeper groups
and extension offices.  One Cornell study for the entire U.S. says:

"...the value of the increased yield and quality achieved through
pollination by honey bees alone was $9.3 billion in 1989 and is $14.6
billion today."

Morse, Roger A. and Nicholas W. Calderone.  2000.  The value of honey bees
as pollinators of U.S. crops in 2000.  Bee Culture.  A.I. Root Publishing,
Medina, OH. 15pgs.
Http://www.beeculture.com/beeculture/pollination2000/pg15.htm.

Has there been a more recent estimate, perhaps one that includes the
services of native bees as well?

Thanks in advance for your help,

~Kim

Kimberly Winter, Ph.D.
International Coordinator
North American Pollinator Protection Campaign
E-mail: NAPPCoordinator at hotmail.com
Internet: www.nappc.org
Ph: (301) 219-7030

Mailing Address: