[Pollinator] Butterflies highlighted on Backyard Habitat program (Animal Planet)

Kimberly Winter nappcoordinator at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 07:56:23 PDT 2006

>From NAPPC Partner, Dave Mizejewski of National Wildlife Federation:

I just completed shooting season two of Backyard Habitat with Animal Planet.
  We've done several new episodes that focus on the following species of
butterflies and moths, some of which are already airing:

--White-lined sphinx moth (Hyles lineata)
--Great spangled fritillary (Speyeria cybele)
--Hummingbird moth (Hemaris thysbe)
--Question mark (Polygonia interrogationis) and Comma (Polygonia comma)
--Zebra longwing (Heliconius charitonius)

Season one episodes are airing in repeats and feature the following
species:

--Spicebush swallowtail (Papilio troilus)
--Red-spotted purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax)
--Eastern tiger swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
--Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)
--Luna moth (Actias luna)

In each episode we profile the species and add specific habitat elements
to the yard we're making over before we certify it as a National
Wildlife Federation Backyard Habitat.  Each of these episodes reach
millions of people with butterfly habitat, natural history and
conservation messages.

The episode in which the zebra longwing was featured will be an
hour-long, prime time special that will air at 8pm eastern/pacific on
Nov. 27th.  (Regular episodes are 30 minutes and air at 9am e/p.)  This
special was shot at Disney's Animal Kingdom and should reach
significantly more people than regular episodes.

People can check out the show and get a schedule for when each episode
airs at www.animalplanet.com/backyardhabitat.

Dave

NWF's mission is to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our
children's future.

David Mizejewski - Senior Manager Habitat Education Programs and Host of
Animal Planet's "Backyard Habitat"
Phone: 703-438-6499  |  Fax: 703-438-6468 | mizejewski at nwf.org
National Wildlife Federation
11100 Wildlife Center Drive
Reston, VA 20190
www.nwf.org

~Kim

--> Join us on October 18th for the POLLINATOR PARTNERSHIP Symposium at the
USDA South Bldg. in Washington, D.C.! For more information:
www.pollinator.org <--

Kimberly Winter, Ph.D.
International Coordinator
North American Pollinator Protection Campaign
Internet: www.nappc.org, www.pollinator.org
Ph: (301) 219-7030