[Pollinator] Help Your State With Pollinators!

Kat McGuire km at coevolution.org
Tue Apr 3 15:30:05 PDT 2007

Keep up the good work!  Your efforts have resulted in five states declaring Pollinator Week including Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, and Michigan.

Most states require that one of their citizens make the request for an official declaration of a statewide event.  Please take a moment to sign and e-mail the letter below to your governor.  We've included the e-mail address for each state's Governor at http://www.pollinator.org/Governors.htm and a sample letter below.

Please do this no later than next week!  Your effort is making International Pollinator Week a great success!

Thank you.

Kat McGuire
Development and Communication Coordinator
Coevolution Institute
423 Washington Street, 5th floor
San Francisco, CA 94111-2339
415.362.1137 phone
415.362.3070 fax
km at coevolution.org
www.coevolution.org
www.nappc.org
www.pollinator.org

April 3, 2007

The Honorable XXXXXXX

Office of the Governor

Address

City, State, Zip

Dear Governor XXX:

As a citizen of this state, I would like to take this opportunity to request a proclamation for 'Pollinator Week' the week of June 24 through 30, 2007.  The Coevolution Institute has already sent in a request with a variety of information that explains the plight of the declining number of pollinating animals, which are vital to our food supply and a key to sustainability in our world.

With growing concern for pollinators, the United States Senate unanimously approved Resolution 580, which designates June 24 through June 30, 2007, as 'National Pollinator Week.'   This was preceded by a proclamation by US Secretary of Agriculture, Mike Johanns also declaring June 24-30 to be National Pollinator Week.

I am writing to ask for your support in helping protect pollinating animals by declaring 'Pollinator Week' June 24 to June 30, 2007 to coincide with what has grown to be an international celebration of pollinating animals including bees, birds, butterflies, bats, beetles and others.

Pollinators are vital to our ecosystems and to supporting terrestrial wildlife, providing healthy watershed, and providing significant benefits to the agriculture.

Please consider joining Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, and Michigan, which have already declared Pollinator Week a statewide event, in this movement to support pollinators.

Your consideration and your help are greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

Sincerely,

Your Name