[Pollinator] Paul Harvey and Bees - Monday, April 16

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 17:45:36 PDT 2007

Thanks to Barry Thompson for this update - good day.

Paul Harvey, on his noon broadcast on Monday, April 16, had a lengthy piece
on CCD and its apparent reduction of honey bee populations "not only in the
United States" but Canada, Wales, and in multiple European countries. He included
the well-known Einstein comment that "when the bees disappear, the world has
about four years." Unfortunately, PH also mentioned the studies from Landau
(GE) regarding cell phone (transmission) disruption of honey bee orientation,
thereby giving credence to incompletely understood data (my opinion.) The
broadcast will not be available in text until 1315 EDT, so I can't pass on much that
is useful. Nonetheless, the "press" continues re "CCD". Research thus far
hasn't progress much toward definition of one or more etiologies. Losses continue
here in the East from a variety of circumstances (weather being no help
presently to the splitting of colonies for increase and replacement.)
42 degrees F. with winds to 50 mph here all night and morning; guess that I
won't attempt to open colonies today (but I'd better check to see if high water
or winds have dumped any over, exposing bees to inclement conditions.)
Regards,
Barry Thompson

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Coevolution Institute
423 Washington St. 5th
San Francisco, CA 94111
415 362 1137
LDA at coevolution.org
_http://www.coevolution.org/_ (http://www.coevolution.org/)
_http://www.pollinator.org/_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)
_http://www.nappc.org/_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

Bee Ready for National Pollinator Week:  June 24-30, 2007.  Contact us
for more information at www.pollinator.org

Our future flies on the wings of pollinators.