[Pollinator] Pollinator Seed Mixes (Mona Miller)

Mona Miller mona.miller at cox.net
Fri Jul 20 16:04:56 PDT 2007

I didn’t go through the list of seeds when I recommended this website
because I was actually recommending the categories.  This company does not
provide seed to international customers.

If you look at wildflower seed companies in the US, you will find many
invasive/noxious weeds in those seed mixes, too.  Apparently, there is more
in the mix than is listed on the packet:

http://tinyurl.com/nyyd7
Wildflower seed mixes include some wicked bloomers

http://tinyurl.com/2raxns
This is a google search with these search items:
native, wildflower, seed mixes, united states

I am afraid, unless you know what native is in your part of the United
States that you will not be likely to get the right seeds to plant even if
it says Northeast or Midwest.

Maybe what needs to be done is that seed companies and nurseries need to be
required to label more correctly so that people who are buying seeds and
plants know that what they are planting is actually native to their area.

Many invasive non-native plants are still being sold in the nursery trade.
Many new cultivars of plants/seeds are being sold that have very little
nectar.  I'd say that this is probably one of the factors in the decline of
pollinators.

Maybe there needs to be a push for homeowners to "Go Native" to help
pollinators.

Mona Miller
Herndon, VA (USA) }i{ }i{ }i{
Join AFB:  www.forbutterflies.org
Keep butterflies flying

I would just like to encourage anyone using bulk seed mixes like those
suggested my Mona to become knowledgeable about the noxious weeds or other
invasive plants in their area.  A couple of the mixes Cotswold Seeds has
advertised contain noxious weeds like ox-eye daisy and teasel, as well has
rather invasive pasture grasses and other species we battle here along the
Front Range of Colorado.  Thanks to all for responsibly choosing
regionally-appropriate seed mixes!  Megan Bowes