[Pollinator] The American Public and Honey Bees - Your Input Needed

eacrowe at montana.edu eacrowe at montana.edu
Tue Mar 6 12:15:10 PST 2007

I agree with Mona that a natural lawn preferably with native plants is the
best thing a homeowner can do.  (Please be careful to avoid planting or
encouraging exotic invasive plants, which some garden centers and box
stores still sell.)

The good news is, however, that a lawn will only convert to forest in
certain parts of the country, i.e. where forests occurred naturally such
as the eastern hardwood forests.  In most of the arid west and perhaps in
parts of the Great Plains, you will have to do little to nothing to
maintain your native lawn, shrub-steppe or desert once it is established
and you've kept the invasive exotic plants out.  You can sell your
lawnmower (yea!).  Check with your state natural heritage program or state
native plant society for more information on what you can do in the area
you live in.  You get a low- to free-maintenance lawn and lots of
beautiful and interesting insects to watch!

Elizabeth Crowe