[Pollinator] Honeybees Decline Sharply in US

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Mar 9 14:24:01 PST 2007

 (http://www.nationalacademies.org/headlines/about.html)
 (http://www.nationalacademies.org/headlines/news_office.html)
 (http://www.nationalacademies.org/headlines/subscribe.html)
 (http://www.nationalacademies.org/headlines/archive.html)

The nation turns to the National Academies -- National Academy of Sciences,
National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, and National Research
Council -- for independent, objective advice on issues that affect people's
lives worldwide.

The National Academies
Office of News
and Public Information
500 Fifth St., N.W.
Washington, DC 20001
E-mail: _news at nas.edu_ (mailto:news at nas.edu)
Tel: 202-334-2138
Fax: 202-334-2158

_Print this_
(http://www.nationalacademies.org/printer/headlines/20070308.html)

Honeybees Decline Sharply in U.S.

By Maureen O'Leary
March 8 - Across the United States, beekeepers are reporting a loss of 30
percent to more than 70 percent of overall beehives. Experts are calling it “
colony collapse disorder,” in which bees have started leaving their hives in
droves, never to return. They think the phenomenon is tied to recent stresses on
the bees.
An effort to raise more efficient bees that need shorter off-seasons has
lowered the insects' immunity to viruses, while bees and their hives have
experienced infestations of parasitic mites and a fungal pathogen. In addition,
beekeepers say it is getting harder to find areas that can properly support bees
during the pollination season. Researchers believe these problems are
compromising the health and size of honeybee populations.
Honeybees play a critical role in spreading pollen so plant fertilization can
occur. Pollination is necessary for the production of most fruits and
vegetables we eat and many crops on which livestock rely. As a result of the bee
decline, we could see fewer crops this year.
A recent report from the National Research Council, Status of Pollinators in
North America, reported decline of some pollinator populations and recommends
increased efforts to monitor their status and more research on the sustainable
management of these populations.

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Coevolution Institute
423 Washington St. 5th
San Francisco, CA 94111
415 362 1137
LDA at coevolution.org
_http://www.coevolution.org/_ (http://www.coevolution.org/)
_http://www.pollinator.org/_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)
_http://www.nappc.org/_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

Bee Ready for National Pollinator Week:  June 24-30, 2007.  Contact us
for more information at www.pollinator.org

Our future flies on the wings of pollinators.
http://www.aol.com.