[Pollinator] NAS Family Day MAY 10 in DC Requests Help from NAPPC

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 10:23:04 PDT 2008

I received this request this morning  - is there anyone interested in helping
on this - The National Academy of  Sciences has been a great partner for
pollinators.  Please  respond directly to Annie.  Thanks. Laurie
Good morning Laurie:
I am organizing a family day at the Marian Koshland  Science Museum of the
National Academy of Sciences here in Washington, DC.   Katie from the US Botanic
Garden mentioned you may be able to help me find a few  local people to help
out that day.  I hope to have a few different events  during our family day,
from talks to activities for families. We have ideas on  matching games for
children, having a local bee keeper come in and discuss their  work, helping
people create their own pollinator garden, and/or identifying  foods and items
that would not exist without pollinators.
This is the basic description: Learn about the effects of the decline of
pollinators – insects, birds, bats, and other animals that  carry pollen from the
male to the female parts of flower –  at a free family day featuring a talk
from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Receive an  interactive “Pollinator Garden Wheel”
with information on why pollinators are an  essential part of natural and
agricultural ecosystems throughout North America.  Admission is free.
More information on the museum is  available here:
_http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/_ (http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/)
I am currently in contact with a few  beekeepers, but I want a full range of
people, insights, and activities.   Please let me know if you have any ideas.
I already plan on using some of the  games/educational activities from
pollinators.org.
Thank you in advance,
Annie Drinkard
Communications Officer
Marian Koshland Science Museum  of the National Academy of Sciences
_www.koshland-science-museum.org_ (http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/)
Tel: 202-334-1612
Fax:  202-334-1548
adrinkard at nas.edu

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator  Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 22-28, 2008.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)