[Pollinator] purchasing bumble bee colonies

Sarina Jepsen sarina at xerces.org
Wed Aug 13 12:35:53 PDT 2008

Last week, Mary Smith sent an email to the Pollinator listserve
requesting information on how to purchase bumble bee hives in Oregon
for gourd pollination. I responded directly to her, but wanted to
share the response with the rest of the listserve (see below).

Sarina Jepsen

To: mxmayor at aim.com
Subject: bumble bees

Hi Mary,

I'm writing you in response to your request to purchase a hive of
bumble bees in Oregon that was posted on the Pollinator listserve.
The Xerces Society supports the Oregon Department of Agriculture
regulations that prohibit the importation of the common eastern
bumble bee (Bombus impatiens) into Oregon. Oregon is far outside of
the bumble bee's native range, and allowing this bee into Oregon may
spread harmful diseases to wild populations of native Oregon bumble
bees. We have seen a decline in wild populations of many species of
native bumble bees in North America, possibly due to the movement of
commercial bumble bees and subsequent spread of disease (for more
information, please see: www.xerces.org/bumblebees).

That said, there are a number of things you can do to encourage local
bumble bees and other pollinators to inhabit your farm, from planting
a hedgerow with flowers that bloom throughout the growing season, to
installing nest blocks (for tunnel nesting bees), to exercising
caution with your use of pesticides. If you would like more
information on some things that you can do to enhance native
pollinators on your farm, I would be happy to send you some.

Best of luck,
Sarina Jepsen

>From: "Mary Smith" <mxmayor at aim.com>
>To: <pollinator at nappc.org>
>Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:18:50 -0700
>         < mailto:pollinator-request at lists.sonic.net?subject=subscribe>

The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit organization that
protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their
habitat. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our
work, please visit <http://www.xerces.org/>www.xerces.org

Sarina Jepsen
Endangered Species Coordinator
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd.  Portland, OR  97215
tel: 503-232-6639     fax: 503-233-6794
email: sarina at xerces.org