[Pollinator] Recently Published Study of Mosquito Misting Systems

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 13:23:13 PST 2008

Thanks to Kathy Seikel for this  information.

Study is attached.
It is from the Journal of American Mosquito Control Association
24(4):560-565, 2008
Copyright © 2008 by The American Mosquito Control Association,  Inc

FYI and for further distribution - a newly published study on  backyard
mosquito control through the use of misting systems.

Key  findings in the study include:
1) Mosquito population reduction (from use of  these systems) varies
widely -- from 14% to 98%

2) It appears that  mosquitoes are killed only when they come into direct
contact with airborne  pesticide droplets, and that residual effects of
pesticides on leaves and  other surfaces is negligible. (Ed note: This
seems like a pretty inefficient  use of pesticides to me).

This is the first efficacy study I have seen on  mister systems. More
research is needed. The authors suggest additional areas  where research
is needed, including:

-  effect of misting systems  on non-target organisms (Ed. note: I think
bees and other pollinators could  be a particular concern)
-  human health effects from direct inhalation  of synergized pyrethrins
- chemical trespass (drift)
-  potential for  insect resistance

Kathy Seikel
Environmental Protection  Agency
Office of Pesticide Programs (7506P)
1200 Penna. Ave.,  NW
Washington, DC 20460

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive  Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th  floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 22-28, 2009.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.