[Pollinator] National Pollinator Week After Action Highlights--NPW Feedback & Success Stories Requested--NPW 2009 Set for June 22-28

R. Thomas Van Arsdall tom at vanarsdall.com
Wed Jul 9 11:53:29 PDT 2008

Many of you likely have already heard or read about various activities
during National Pollinator Week 2008, but we wanted to give you a quick
overview:

1. 30 GOVERNORS took action to proclaim Pollinator Week in their States.
Local events occurred in at least 40 states.

2. ECOREGIONAL PLANTING GUIDES for Pollinators are now available LIVE, On
Line.  The first six guides were launched at the beginning of National
Pollinator Week and can be accessed at http://www.pollinator.org/guides.htm
(More information was provided via a recent separate communication--Sorry
about the messy formatting.  I'm giving up on html!).

3. POLLINATOR BRIEFING on the Hill, convened by the Pollinator Partnership
on June 25, attracted 5 Members and 1,200 hill staff and other interested
folks to the House Ag Hearing Room.  It was a great team effort [Haagen Dazs
Honey Vanilla Ice Cream & Burt's Bees Lip Balm helped get them there so we
could educate them!].

4. POLLINATOR OVERSIGHT HEARING was convened by the House Ag Horticulture
and Organic Agriculture Subcommittee on June 26 to "review the status of
pollinator health including colony collapse disorder."
   i. A strong record was established, and Chairman Dennis Cardoza (D-CA)
concluded with two key points:
	. Funding limitations should not be a barrier to research needed to
address pollinator health concerns.
	. Native pollinators are disappearing, and that should be of concern
to all of us.
  ii. Testimony by the Pollinator Partnership and other witnesses can be
accessed at http://www.pollinator.org/hearing.htm.

5. MOU with National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD) signed!
One priority of this partnership will be to promote the Ecoregional Planting
Guides for Pollinators through the local conservation districts.

Additional National Pollinator Week highlights are available at
http://www.pollinator.org/pollinator_week_2008.htm.

Thanks again for your involvement and actions in support of polliunators.
	. Give us your FEEDBACK about what worked and didn't work during
National Pollinator Week.
	. Also, please consider SHARING YOUR LOCAL POLLINATOR WEEK SUCCESS
STORY and help inspire others.  You can do so by e-mailing a paragraph and
any photos to mh at pollinator.org.

While our continuing goal is to celebrate and take action in support of
pollinators every day, National Pollinator Week in 2009 is set for June
22-28.  Mark your calendar, and start planning your activities now!

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall, Director, Public Affairs, Pollinator
Partnership
tva at pollinator.org
For More Information, http://www.pollinator.org