[Pollinator] Notes from the Beeyard One of Every Three American Cattle Dead?

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 14:50:16 PDT 2008

Thanks to Catherine Wissner for  sending this in.

Notes from the Beeyard One of Every Three American Cattle  Dead?

Tom Theobald, Niwot, Colorado

_http://www.thefencepost.com/article/20080714/MISC07/681821019&parentprofile=s
earch_
(http://www.thefencepost.com/article/20080714/MISC07/681821019&parentprofile=search)
That  headline would grab your attention wouldn’t it? You wouldn’t have to
be a  rancher or a farmer to understand the seriousness, and your acquaintance
with  cattle wouldn’t have to be any more intimate than a hamburger for you to
get it.
On June 26 the Agriculture Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives
held its second public hearing on The Status of Pollinator Health and Colony
Collapse Disorder. It was both encouraging and discouraging, mostly the  latter.

Several people testified before the Committee, all apparently  knowledgeable
in their respective parts of the question. They were divided into  three
panels; the first was government and academia, the second consisted of two
commercial beekeepers and two farmers dependent on pollination, and the third,
corporate representatives whose companies may be dramatically effected by a loss
of pollinators.

I’ll try to touch on the testimony of two or three of  them, but understand
that I’m not completely unbiased here. I believe that this  crisis we are in is
the consequence of government and institutional failures of  monumental
proportions, that the Bee Crisis is a dramatic warning of much more  fundamental
problems with the way government is conducting the affairs of the  country. I
encourage any of you who have a deeper interest in the matter, and  particularly
any beekeepers among you, to go to
_http://agriculture.house.gov/hearings/statements.html_ (http://agriculture.house.gov/hearings/statements.html) .  Read
the testimony of North Carolina farmer Robert Edwards who cut his cucumber
acreage in half, in part because of lack of dependable pollination, of Haagen
Daz Ice Cream, which has contributed several hundred thousand dollars for
research. The testimonies are short and understandable. Read them and draw your
own conclusions.

The encouraging part of all this is that at least some  members of Congress
haven’t lost sight of the problem. While the Bee Crisis may  not be on the
front burner, at least it’s still on the stove. On the downside it  doesn’t seem
that anything of any real consequence has been done since the  House’s first
hearing well over a year ago, in March of 2007.

What is  now called Colony Collapse Disorder, CCD, broke on the national
scene in October  of 2006, although it had been simmering along with other
problems for several  years prior to that. Nationally, the colony losses in the
winter of 2006-2007  were over 30 percent, and last winter 35 to 40 percent. Now we
are nearly two  years into the problem and what has been done? Apparently
very  little.

One of the beekeepers who testified was David Mendes, a bright,
well-educated man who has been a commercial beekeeper since high school. Dave’s
beekeeping operation consists of over 7,000 colonies and in addition he is vice
president of the American Beekeeping Federation. From his base in Florida he  moves
his bees up the east coast for blueberry pollination in Maine and  cranberry
pollination in Massachusetts, then back to Florida. Last year he sent  15
semi-loads of bees to California for almond pollination.

Supposedly 80  to 100 million dollars has been allocated in the 2008 Farm
Bill, but none of it  has trickled out of the bureaucratic pipeline and there
doesn’t seem to be any  real sense of urgency on the part of Congress to see that
it does. Mendes  reflects the concern of many beekeepers when he laments that
“Much of the  frustration felt by beekeepers is directed at the lack of any
concrete actions  taken to address the causes of CCD ... actual research money
spent in the field  has been very little.”

Along with two other commercial beekeepers on the  east coast, Mendes
selected 18 of his colonies to be tracked by Dennis  VanEnglsdorp of the Pennsylvania
Department of Agriculture from March of 2007 to  January, 2008. These
colonies were sampled at the outset in Florida, each time  they were moved to a new
location and again when they returned to Florida, a  total of seven times.The
hope was that by analyzing these samples some answers  to the CCD problem would
begin to emerge.

Unfortunately, as Mendes told  the Committee “... only a few of the samples
collected have been analyzed so  far. The balance are in storage awaiting
funding for the analyses.”

At  the end of 10 months only four of the Mendes’s 18 test colonies still
survived,  and only one of those was strong enough to be sent west for almond
pollination,  by that measure “a 95 percent loss,” Mendes testified. Whatever
millions may be  shelved in the Farm Bill might as well not exist if we don’t
have money for even  the most basic research.

One of the researchers to testify was Ms.  Maryann Frazier. Ms. Frazier is
with the Department of Entomology at  Pennsylvania State University. She is a
member of the CCD Working Group and has  done some significant fact finding on
one aspect of the problem, the role  agricultural chemicals may be playing in
CCD. Her preliminary results are cause  for concern. In 108 pollen samples she
identified 46 different pesticides, as  high as 17 in a single sample and an
average of five pesticides per sample. Only  three samples had no pesticides.

Understandably, researchers and  academics who work in the public sector have
to be diplomatic lest they offend  those people who ultimately support them
and who make decisions that might  affect their careers and their livelihoods.
Ms. Frazier is cautious in her  comments to the Committee, but her frustration
is clear when she says, “I  believe the magnitude and timeliness of the
response has not matched the scale  and the urgency needed to save an industry
valued at more than $14 billion.”
Ms. Frazier goes on to quote one of her colleagues from the CCD Working
Group, who said “How would our government respond if one of every three cows was
dying?”

How indeed? Why does it seem so difficult for the decision  makers to grasp
the magnitude of this? Why do they continue to sit on their  thumbs? What is
the government’s response to the loss of more than a third of  the country’s
bees?
The House had a Hearing, but was there any Listening  going on? Sadly, in the
end, despite the words, the hand wringing and  expressions of concern, the
government response seems to be “Let them eat  cake.”

In his closing remarks, David Mendes sums it up simply. “While in  the long
run honey bees will survive, our beekeepers may not.”

I hope  that doesn’t happen, but it looks like time is running out. And it
looks like  there will be dead cows all over the place.

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator  Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 22-28, 2008.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)