[Pollinator] BEES: Beekeepers hope to rebuild hives destroyed by CCD

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Jun 6 11:20:25 PDT 2008

Forwarded by Hilda Diaz-Soltero/WO/USDAFS on 06/06/2008 12:24  PM
-----

hdiazsoltero at fs.f
ed.us
06/05/2008  06:21          hdiazsoltero at fs.fed.us
PM                    cc

Subject
>From Greenwire -- BEES: Beekeepers
hope to rebuild hives  destroyed by
colony collapse disorder

This  Greenwire story was sent to you by: hdiazsoltero at fs.fed.us

Personal  message:

(Embedded image moved to file:  pic28624.jpg)Greenwire
An E&E  Publishing Service
BEES: Beekeepers hope to rebuild hives destroyed by  colony
collapse disorder  (Monday,  June 2, 2008)
After colony collapse disorder decimated hives  during the past two
summers, beekeepers are hoping to stage a rebound this  year.
Some are raising queen bees to sell to other  keepers, who will try
to use them to replace destroyed homes. Among them is  Clint
Walker, a Texas beekeeper who was hurt by  colony collapse disorder
in 2006. "I can't raise enough queens; I turn down  orders every
day," he said.
The causes of the disorder remain mysterious. "We don't have one
thing we can point to; we're looking at a lot of combinations,"
said Jeff Pettis, a researcher for the U.S. Department of
Agriculture. "It's a combination of some primary stress  on the
colony that could include low-level pesticide  exposure, poor
nutrition, Varroa mites -- or  something else -- that allow
visitors to  take advantage of a weakened host. Then we're seeing a
secondary invader  actually kill the colony."
While Texas beekeeping is recovering from  epidemics in 2006 and
2007, the problem is spreading  nationally.
"Any beekeeper that tells you they've got the situation  figured
out, they're lying to you. When you can't keep a hive  healthy,
you've got problems," Walker said. "Everyone in  the industry --
we're all wringing our hands -- because the  researchers can't
definitely give us an answer as to  what's causing the problem."
Many keepers carry their colonies  from one field to the next over
the course of the season. This year,  Walker declined to do so,
hoping the time off would  expedite their recovery.
Bees play an important role in pollinating crops, adding  an
estimated $15 billion in value to nut, fruit and vegetable&
production (Bill Hanna,  Contra Costa Times, May 31). -- PR
Want to  read more stories like this?
Click here to  start a free trial to E&E -- the best way to track
policy  and markets.

About Greenwire
Greenwire is written and produced by the staff of E&E  Publishing,
LLC. The one-stop source for those who need to stay on top  of all
of today's major energy and environmental action with an  average
of more than 20 stories a day, Greenwire covers the  complete
spectrum, from electricity industry  restructuring to Clean Air Act
litigation to public lands management.  Greenwire publishes daily
at  Noon.

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator  Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 22-28, 2008.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.