[Pollinator] Monarchs in Space - Emergence day.

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 09:23:47 PST 2009

Emergence day.

Here is a link to a Youtube video showing the first  monarch to emerge
on the ISS earlier this afternoon -
http://www.youtube.com/user/monarchwatch#p/f/0/gzkgJUmQ1K4. The
female  monarch with slightly curled hind wings can be seen floating
in the habitat  aboard the ISS while clinging to the cuticle of the
pupa from which it just  emerged. Notice that the slightest twitch
causes the butterfly to float in a  new direction. I'm amazed that
this butterfly was able to emerge. The pupa  had been floating in the
habitat for the better part of a week and I  couldn't envision how it
could emerge from a free floating chrysalis/pupa.  It will probably
continue to float until the emergence of another butterfly  causes it
to let go of the pupal cuticle.

The following is a link  to our website - with all the latest on
Monarchs In Space. We will post  updates as the mission  progresses.

http://www.monarchwatch.org/space/index.html

--
Monarch  Watch
monarch at ku.edu
http://www.MonarchWatch.org/
Dplex-L:  send  message "info Dplex-L" to Listproc at ku.edu
1-888-TAGGING (toll-free!) -or-  1-785-864 4441
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, KS  66045-7534
Create, Conserve and Protect Monarch Habitats

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive  Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th  floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 21-27, 2010.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)