[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Bee Lawn Mix Thought

Matthew Shepherd (Xerces Society) mdshepherd at xerces.org
Wed Feb 4 20:56:55 PST 2009

Sam,

You may be pleased to know that the idea of flowery lawns has not been totally overlooked. We've been promoting "ecolawns" wherever we can -- and I admit that it has only been in a few places to date, so I doubt it has had a big impact yet. Whenever I get the opportunity to talk to gardeners, urban/suburban park managers, and others with lawns under their purview, finding ways to reduce the intensity of lawn maintenance and allow flowers to bloom is part of the discussion.

Our guidelines for urban greenspaces ("Pollinator-Friendly Parks", available from the publications pages of our web site, www.xerces.org), includes mention of ecolawns and suggests some low-growing plants. The reality is that many areas of grass are already low-maintenance and in the eyes of some lawn aficionados, full of weeds, so they offer some bee resources.

Matthew