[Pollinator] Pollinators win big in NRCS Conservation Innovation Grants

Scott Black sblack at xerces.org
Tue Jul 14 17:15:15 PDT 2009

[]

Pollinators win big in NRCS Conservation
Innovation Grants: The Xerces Society receives
$458,000; Pollinator Partnership receives
$183,954; and Gold Ridge Resource Conservation District receives $71,500.

Xerces Society and multiple partners will work to
understand and protect habitat for pollinators
and other beneficial insects. Pollinator
Partnership and Gold Ridge RCD aim to develop
habitat plans to support pollinators.

Portland, OR – Pollinators are essential to our
environment. The ecological service they provide
is necessary for the reproduction of nearly 70
percent of the world’s flowering plants. This
includes more than two-thirds of the world’s crop
species, whose fruits and seeds together provide
over 30 percent of the foods and beverages that
we consume. The United States alone grows more
than one hundred crops that either need or
benefit from pollinators. The economic value of
insect-pollinated crops in the United States was
estimated to be $18.9 billion in 2000. Native
insects are responsible for pollinating at least
$3 billion worth of these crops.

Native pollinators across the United States are
in decline, especially in heavily managed
landscapes. Managed pollinators, including honey
bees, are in need of increased pollen diversity
to help bolster their resistance to disease,
pesticides, and other stresses. The 2008 Farm
Bill explicitly establishes pollinators as a priority resource concern.

Conservation Service has awarded two grants to
the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation.

Xerces Society Grants
$255,312 to Develop and Test Pollinator Habitat
Job Sheets for Six Regions of the U.S.
Providing additional forage and refuge through
on-farm natural habitat is widely recog­nized as
important for enhancing pollinator health,
diversity and abundance. Creating these habitat
enhancements through the planting of adjacent
pollinator meadows, bee pastures, or flowering
hedgerows, however is not simply a matter of
selecting regionally appropriate wildflowers.
Rather these plantings need to be tailored to the
specific cropping systems and include plants of
greatest benefit to bees. For example, adjacent
pollinator plantings need to be screened for
appropriate bloom time, ensuring that floral
competition does not exist with the primary crop.
Similarly, these pollinator plantings need to be
composed of species that will not become weeds in
the primary crop, and they should not serve as
alternate hosts of crop pests and diseases.

The Xerces Society will work with regional
partners to standardize pollinator seed mixes and
habitat specifications for different agricultural
industries and landscapes. Partners include the
California Association of Conservation Districts,
Oregon State University, the University of
Wisconsin Center for Integrated Agricultural
Systems and UW Department of Entomology,
Pennsylvania State University, the Cape Cod
Cranberry Growers Association and Plymouth
Massachusetts Soil and Water Conservation
District, and Straughn Farms of Waldo Florida.

“These plantings provide a win-win scenario,
creating new opportunities for beneficial
wildlife in agricultural settings,” said Mace
Vaughan Pollinator Program Director for the
Xerces Society.  “It will also provide direct
economic benefits to farmers resulting from
increased crop pollination and healthier honey bee colonies.”

Also, critical to this project’s success are the
USDA NRCS Plant Material Centers (PMCs). Plant
Material Centers play a vital role in helping the
NRCS complete its mission of natural resource
conservation. Six of the nation’s 27 NRCS PMCs
will help plant pollinator habitat as part of this project.

$202,631 to Promote Agricultural Sustainability
through Conserving Beneficial Insects: Restoring
Pollination and Pest Control Services on Farms in
California's Central Valley, Phase II

In 2006, the Xerces Society, University of
California at Berkeley, the Audubon California
Land Owner Stewardship Program, and the Center
for Land Based Learning initiated our Restoring
Pollination Function on Farms in California’s
Central Valley project (with partial funding from
a CA CIG grant and an NRCS Fish and Wildlife grant).

In Phase I of this project, we worked with six
farms to plant buffers with pollinator habitat.
We monitored bee communities before and after
restoration at these sites and at twelve control
sites. We presented dozens of workshops across
California and developed a variety of NRCS
publications that provide the technical
information and specifications needed to
implement pollinator habitat using NRCS
Conservation Practices. We also developed a
citizen science bee monitoring protocol for California’s Central Valley.

Capitalizing on these successes, the UC Berkeley
and the Xerces Society will expand this project
to demonstrate how effectively these hedgerows
recruit natural enemies of crop pests.  We will
use this information to develop guidelines for
beneficial insect habitat and engage growers and
NRCS staff through workshops across the state.

“If we hope to conserve biological diversity we
must work within agricultural landscapes,” said
Scott Hoffman Black, Executive Director of the
Xerces Society. “Both of these projects will
provide vital information that will allow us
provide habitat for pollinators and other
beneficial insects which in turn will provide
benefits for a broad variety of birds, fish and other animals.”

The NRCS also awarded grants to the Pollinator
Partnership to work with partners to develop
pollinator project specifications for Montana,
Ohio and Arizona, as well as to the Gold Ridge
Conservation District of Occidental, California
for a pilot project to enhance pollinator habitat
on six farms in California’s Sonoma County.

*************************
Scott Hoffman Black
Ecologist/Entomologist
Executive Director
The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
4828 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97215
Direct line (503) 449-3792
sblack at xerces.org

The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit
organization that protects wildlife through the
conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.

To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work,
please visit <http://www.xerces.org/>www.xerces.org.