[Pollinator] Peponapis and black plastic

bmoisset at aol.com bmoisset at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 11:49:51 PDT 2009

Does anybody know if covering the ground with black plastic instead of mulch is detrimental to squash bees? I have been searching for them at a pumpkin patch for several days now. I have been up before sunrise; I beat the bumble bees and the honey bees. These were very numerous but all I saw was 5 squash bees.
The ground along the rows of plants is covered by black plastic. Would squash bees have trouble finding nesting places under these circumstances?
Apparently bumble bees and honeybees are sufficient to accomplish pollination in that field; I saw plenty of growing fruits. But I would like to know what is happening to the squash bees. Besides, it is supposed to be an educational organic farm. This doesn't seem very organic to me.

Thank you for any information,

Beatriz Moisset