[Pollinator] NAPPC Partner Craig Tufts has passed away

Kimberly Winter winterk at nwf.org
Thu Jun 25 06:09:15 PDT 2009

Dear NAPPC Partners and Friends:

It is with heavy heart that I inform you Craig Tufts passed away late Sunday evening, June 21st.  This news comes just shy of Craig's 33rd anniversary with NWF; a career that progressed from Nature Center Assistant Director position to Director of Urban Wildlife Programs and Backyard Wildlife Habitat program development to the Chief Naturalist for NWF.

I first met Craig at our NAPPC annual meetings, and was immediately impressed with his kind, humble, and always welcoming demeanor.  His understated approach to life hid an amazing knowledge of the natural world, the breadth of which few of the globe's best scientists could hope to ever match in their lifetimes.  To me, Craig was the heart and soul of the National Wildlife Federation, representing a true naturalist with a love and curiosity for Nature that was infectious to all those around him.

Over the past year, Craig leveraged his always positive and energetic attitude towards life in a battle with aggressive brain cancer.  Never letting it get him down, his friends and colleagues were touched by the grace and dignity that Craig and his wife Jean brought to this battle.  They shared his journey with all of us with regular journal postings on the Caring Bridge website for cancer patients.

For those of you in the DC area, a memorial service will be held this Sunday, June 28th, 2:00 pm at the Community Lutheran Church in Sterling, Virginia. The address is 21014 Whitfield Place, Sterling, VA 20165

Craig's wife Jean has asked that, in lieu of flowers, individuals may consider a donation in Craig's name to the charity of their choice.
The home address is:
35053 Newlin Crt
Middleburg,  VA  20117

The National Wildlife Federation has also just established a Volunteer Education Fund in Craig's name which will enable a young person to have an environmentally based experience with their family- similar to those NWF Summit experiences that Craig was so fond of and such an integral part of over the years. If you wish to make a memorial contribution, please consider this fund as a way of carrying on Craig's legacy.
Donations can be sent to:
National Wildlife Federation
 Attn: Craig Tufts Volunteer Education Fund
11100 Wildlife Federation Drive
Reston, VA 20190

~Kim

NWF's mission is to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children's future.

Kimberly Winter, Ph.D.
Habitats Program Manager
Phone: 703-438-6278  |  Fax: 703-438-6468
winterk at nwf.org
National Wildlife Federation
11100 Wildlife Center Drive
Reston, VA 20190