[Pollinator] Enhancing pollinator biodiversity in intensive grasslands

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Wed Mar 4 06:27:37 PST 2009

Potts, S. G., B. A. Woodcock, S. P. M. Roberts,
T. T., E. S. Pilgrim, V. K. Brown, and J. R.
Tallowin. 2009. Enhancing pollinator biodiversity
in intensive grasslands. Journal of Applied Ecology 46:369-379.

ABSTRACT

    * 1. Increased agricultural intensification
has led to well-documented declines in the fauna
and flora associated with intensive grasslands in
the UK. We aimed to quantify the effectiveness of
different field margin management strategies for
putting bumblebee and butterfly biodiversity back into intensive grasslands.
    * 2. Using four intensive livestock farms in
south-west England, we manipulated conventional
management practices (addition of inorganic
fertilizer, cutting frequency and height, and
aftermath grazing) to generate seven grass-based
treatments along a gradient of decreasing
management intensity. We also tested two more
interventionist treatments which introduced sown
components into the sward: (i) a cereal, grass
and legume mix, and (ii) a diverse conservation
mix with kale, mixed cereals, linseed and
legumes. These crop mixtures were intended to
provide forage and structural resources for
pollinators but were not intended to have
agronomic value as livestock feed. Using a
replicated block design, we monitored bumblebee
and butterfly responses in 27 plots (10 × 50 m)
in each farm from 2003 to 2006.
    * 3. Bumblebees were most abundant,
species-rich and diverse in the sown treatments
and virtually absent from the grass-based
treatments. The diverse conservation mix
treatment supported larger and more diverse
bumblebee assemblages than the cereal, grass and
legume mix treatment. The sown treatments, and
the most extensively managed grass-based
treatments, had the highest abundance, species
richness and diversity of adult butterflies,
whereas butterfly larvae were only found in the grass-based treatments.
    * 4.  Bumblebee and butterfly assemblage
structure was driven by floral abundance, floral
richness, the availability of nectar resources,
and sward structure. Only vegetation cover was
correlated with butterfly larval abundance.
    * 5.  Synthesis and applications. This study
has identified management options in the margins
of intensive grasslands which can enhance
bumblebee and butterfly biodiversity.
Extensification of conventional grass management
by stopping fertilization, reducing cutting
frequency and not grazing, benefits butterflies.
However, to enhance bumblebees requires a more
interventionist approach in the form of sowing
flower-rich habitat. Both approaches are
potentially suitable for adoption in
agri-environment schemes in the UK and Europe.