[Pollinator] Bee habitats proposed for Berkeley parks

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 14:13:42 PDT 2009

Bee habitats proposed for Berkeley parks

_Carolyn Jones, Chronicle Staff Writer_ (mailto:carolynjones at sfchronicle.com)

Monday, March 23, 2009

If you thought Berkeley was buzzing with eco-activity before, just wait
until Tuesday.
The City Council is poised to transform all the city's parks and open  spaces
into habitats for bees. If the council approves  the resolution, all future
landscaping would be "pollinator-friendly"  flowering native plants intended to
attract bees, bats,  butterflies, moths, hummingbirds, beetles and flies.

____________________________________

Images

(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/03/23/BA5416KTE8.DTL&o=0)   _View Larger  Image_
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/03/23/BA5416KTE8.DTL&o=0)

____________________________________

More Bay Area News
    *   _Concern over police slayings delays BART  case_
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/23/BANB16LHC2.DTL&type=newsbayarea)
03.23.09
    *   _Hospital mourns Napa Valley family dead in  crash_
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/23/state/n124607D96.DTL&type=newsbayar
ea)  03.23.09
    *   _High court rejects evolution suit against  Cal_
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/23/BAOU16LGNI.DTL&type=newsbayarea)
03.23.09
    *   _Man shot to death at El Sobrante party_
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/23/BAC416LGTK.DTL&type=newsbayarea)   03.23.09

____________________________________

"I think it's fantastic. This is exactly what we're trying to promote,"  said
Jaime Pawelek, a researcher in urban bee ecology at UC Berkeley's  Department
of Environmental Science Policy and Management. "The Bay Area  is a leader in
the environmental movement - hopefully the rest of the  country will follow
this."
But those who like to eat at the parks or roll in the grass, such as  young
kids, aren't so sure. After all, more bees means  more bee stings.
"Maybe they could put the bees in parks where kids  never go," said Charles
Cobb, who was playing with his two children at  Codornices Park last week. "It
seems like a good idea, but I'd worry about  having them too close."
The city's proposing that the bee landscaping be planted at least 30  feet
from children's play areas, barbecues, garbage cans and picnic  tables. Staff
would also post signs in the parks explaining the importance  of bee habitats.
"Thirty feet is not enough," said Kristen Burmester, who was at  Codornices
Park with her two youngsters. "If you had a kid who was  allergic to bees, it
would cut out all parks. And I  wonder about population control."
City officials proposed the idea about six months ago, after reading  news
reports about the global decline of pollinators, particularly  bees. Pollinators
are essential for plant reproduction,  especially food sources such as fruit
and nut trees, berries and many  vegetables.
Pesticides and habitat reduction are the main culprits behind the  bees'
decline, Pawelek said. But an increase in native  flowering plants would be a big
help for bees and other  pollinators.
"It's extremely important, if we ever want to eat an apple or pear  again,"
she said. "If we lose bees, we'll just be eating  rice and corn, which are wind
pollinated."
Park users should not worry about stumbling across a hive and being  attacked
by a swarm of irate bees, she said. Most native  bees live alone in the
ground or hollow tree trunks, and  only the females can sting.
Furthermore, they're more likely to fly away or simply buzz loudly if
they're irritated. Stinging is not their first choice, she said.
"They're actually afraid of us," she said. "I've been handling  bees for
years and never been stung."
Former City Councilwoman Betty Olds was among those who first  championed
municipal bee advocacy. A former bee keeper, she said she was  concerned about
the species' decline and wanted to help.
Mayor Tom Bates was also an early supporter.
"I read about the bees declining and thought, 'This is  terrible. What can we
do?' " he said. "Making our parks  pollinator-friendly is totally possible
and economically feasible, and a  good way to help bees in our city."
The landscaping plan will not cost any more than the city's regular
landscaping budget, according to city staff.
Lars Henri, who was with his 3-year-old at Codornices Park, said he  loved
the idea.
"Bring on the bees," he said. "Definitely more people  will get stung. Bees
are vital to the world, and we need  them."

Bee resolution
The City Council is scheduled to vote on the bee resolution at its  meeting
at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Old City Hall, 2134 Martin Luther King Way,  Berkeley.
For more information, go to _links.sfgate.com/ZGND_
(http://links.sfgate.com/ZGND)  or
_nature.berkeley.edu/urbanbeegardens_
(http://nature.berkeley.edu/urbanbeegardens)
E-mail Carolyn Jones at _carolynjones at sfchronicle_
(mailto:carolynjones at sfchronicle.com)

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive  Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th  floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 22-28, 2009.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219858252x1201366219/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62)