[Pollinator] Pollinators in the Aloe Vera

Research at Hilton Pond research at hiltonpond.org
Mon Mar 30 12:27:17 PDT 2009

As many of you know, for the past five years I've been observing and
banding Ruby-throated Hummingbirds on their wintering grounds in
Costa Rica, where they are drawn to Aloe Vera plantations. Aloe, a
non-native import from Africa, is grown organically and also attracts
a lot of insects.

I thought you might like to see the latest "This Week at Hilton Pond"
photo essay, which is summary of our work in 2009 plus a
retrospective of my first five years among the aloe. It's at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek090222.html

Curiously, despite bountiful blossoms and plenty of pollinators from
hummingbirds to honeybees, we've never seen any seed set on the aloe.
Any thoughts?

Happy Spring!

BILL
--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org