[Pollinator] Native Pollinators in California

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 11:28:35 PDT 2009

From:Lawrence R. Stritch, Ph.D.
National Botanist
USDA Forest Service  - WO
Range Staff, 3S
201 14th Street, SW
Washington DC 20250
Phone  202-205-1279

Scroll down!

----- Forwarded by Larry  Stritch/WO/USDAFS on 10/06/2009 09:34 AM -----

   Julie K  Nelson/R5/USDAFS
09/24/2009 04:08 PM
lstritch at fs.fed.us
cc
Subject
Fw: CNPS eNews -- September  2009

Just FYI

Julie Kierstead Nelson
Forest Botanist, Shasta-Trinity  National Forest
3644 Avtech Parkway, Redding CA 96002
530 226 2426  direct
530-226-2485 fax
jknelson at fs.fed.us

Age does not always  bring wisdom.  Sometimes age comes alone.
***Garrison Keillor

-----  Forwarded by Julie K Nelson/R5/USDAFS on 09/24/2009 01:08 PM -----

   "Jack Tracey"  <jtracey at cnps.org>
09/24/2009 11:34 AM
jknelson at fs.fed.us
cc
Subject
CNPS eNews -- September  2009

(http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8416767&msgid=151350&act=9JUR&c=441809&admin=0&destination=http://cnps.org/)

CNPS eNewsletter, Volume 1, Number 8: September 2009

“The mission of the California Native Plant Society is to increase
understanding and appreciation of California 's native plants and to conserve  them
and their natural habitats through education, science, advocacy,
horticulture and land stewardship.”

"Delicious autumn!  My  very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I
would fly about the earth  seeking the successive autumns."  ~George Eliot

In this issue:  Horticulture  Focus!

    *   Growing Native: Be a Pollinator Promoter
    *   Pruning Tips for California Native Plants
    *   Gardening for Birds
    *   Conservation Plant Science Action Items
    *   Desert Solar Update
    *   Bond-Funded Projects/ReSeed  California
    *   Fall Plant Sales -- THIS WEEKEND  and thru 11/14/09
    *   Other Chapter Events
    *   Thursday 10/24 in Saratoga and this weekend  in Sacramento
    *   Save the Date!  Celebration for Vernal  Pools, Friday, November 6,
2009, Splash Center, Mather, CA
    *   Education Program: Vegetation Mapping  Workshop
    *   JiJi Foundation Funds  Capacity-Building/Strategic Planning
    *   2010 Program Calendar Coming Soon!
    *   Still Time to Register:   Vegetation  Mapping 10/13-15
    *   Links to: Manage Your Subscription;  Forward this Newsletter;
Donate Now, Join CNPS and CNPS' Facebook  Group
    *   Photo Credits
    *   bumble bee on Eriogonum latifolium (Coast Buckwheat).  Photo used
with permission of _www.laspilitas.com_
(http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8416767&msgid=151350&act=9JUR&c=441809&admin=0&destination=http://www.l
aspilitas.com/)
    *   Finch on Elderberry Photo: Steve  Rosenthal
    *   CNPS Plant Sale Photo: Arvind  Kumar
    *   CNPS Education Program Photo: Josie  Crawford
    *   Acorns and Gardening Tools:  _Free-Website-Pictures.com_
(http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8416767&msgid=151350&act=9JUR&c=441809&admin
=0&destination=http://free-website-pictures.com/)
Growing Native:  Be a  Pollinator Promoter
Ellen  Zagory, The UC Davis Arboretum

Gardening with  California native plants requires an appreciation of
California ’s  Mediterranean climate.  Long, cloudless summer days can seem
relentless, especially in hot, interior regions.  Hills and plains  turn golden
with dried grasses and wildfires become a concern.  The  outdoor-minded learn
to appreciate the long dry season, the ease and  opportunity for irrigated
gardening, and easy access to hiking and  enjoying the astonishing diversity
of California ’s terrain and flora.  Visiting California native landscapes
provides inspiration for  native plant gardening.  Growing native plants
lets us bring a  little of the wild home.

When we incorporate  native plants in our landscapes we create gardens that
are more than  just objects of beauty—they become expressions of our
environmental  values; respect for the need for plant conservation, water
conservation and habitat restoration.  Many natives are useful in  water-conserving
gardens because they are naturally drought-tolerant,  but they do more,
they enhance local biological diversity and support  native pollinating
insects.

European honeybee  colonies are disappearing, and their decreasing numbers
have farmers and  scientists concerned.  European honeybees are important
pollinators—insects that transfer pollen, the package of male DNA, to  female
parts of flowers, resulting in seeds and fruits, which then end  up on our
dinner table.   Pollinators are critical for many  agricultural crops like
squash, watermelon, almonds, apples, onions,  broccoli, carrots, sunflower,
cantaloupe and honeydews, and others too  numerous to mention.  Insect
pollinators are like truckers on an  invisible web of highways between flowery
restaurants.  The  beautiful petals and markings of flowers advertise that they
hold food,  in the form of nectar and pollen, which provide proteins and
sugars that  insects need to survive.  In the midst of dining, insects
accidentally transfer pollen between plants and initiate  fertilization—creating
seeds for the next generation of plants.  If  there are not enough
pollinators, fruit and vegetable crops will be  reduced but what of our native
landscapes?

Native plants have  evolved with native pollinators.  In addition to crops,
many native  plants in our gardens, parks, forests and grasslands depend
upon native  insects to reproduce.  California ’s natural beauty would not
survive without native pollinators.  Construction of homes,  shopping centers,
roads and industry has brought our gardens to the  environmental edge where
urban meets wild.  New developments may  have an oak forest in the backyard
or a wildflower preserve as a  neighbor.  Gardens need to do more than just
provide pleasure.  We need to fill them with plants that provide year-round
food and  habitat for native pollinators, especially California native
plants.

Native pollinators need us, but we need them just as  much.  They are an
important part of the food chain that supports  birds, amphibians and mammals,
preserving the natural diversity around  us.  The role that insects play in
our food production system  brings this environmental issue home, right to
our dinner tables.  Our gardens, especially our California native plants,
can provide  food and habitat for a variety of wild creatures, including
pollinating  insects.

Pruning Tips for California Native  Plants
Ted Kipping,  Certified Arborist

So, it’s been 5-10  years since you filled up your garden space with a
buying spree at your  local Native Plant Society Sale. Somehow all those little
gallon-sized  plants looked rather lonely when you first set them out. Now
they have  all grown bigger than you could have imagined. It’s time either to
 remove some (perish the thought!), or to play referee with the pruning
tools. What you need are good muscles, sharp clean tools and most
importantly, a clear idea of what you want to achieve to attain a  vegetative truce in
the garden for a year or two.

Click _HERE_
(http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8416767&msgid=151350&act=9JUR&c=441809&admin=0&destination=http://www.cnps.org/cnps/grownative/p
runing-kipping.php)  to continue reading this article with information  on:

    *   YOUR GARDEN VISION WITH PROPER TIMING  AND TECHNIQUES
    *   SPECIES-SPECIFIC HINTS
    *   MORE TECHNIQUES
Gardening for Birds -- If you plant  it, they will come
Arvind  Kumar, CNPS Board Member

Birds make a  garden come alive. They are a source of endless
entertainment, dashing,  fluttering, feeding, jumping, scratching, drinking, bathing, and
 eventually flying off. These foraging creatures are independent spirits,
wild at heart, but if you provide what they need – food, water, shelter,
and nesting spaces – they will return to your urban garden again and  again.

Bird feeders provide instant gratification to bird  and human alike, but
they require regular cleaning and refilling, not to  mention cleaning of the
mess below. A complementary and sustainable  approach is to plant shrubs with
berries that our feathered friends find  irresistible. Here is a short list
of shrubs to increase the carrying  capacity of your garden naturally:

Blue  Elderberry (Sambucus mexicana). I call this plant an avian  cafeteria
for the sheer variety and quantity of songbirds that visit it  in
July-August to snack on the pale blue berries. (Yes, the berries are  edible by
humans, too.) By nature a large shrub, this fast-growing  deciduous plant can be
easily pruned and shaped as a multi-trunked tree  to 20’.

Toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia). An  evergreen shrub to 8’ that produces
brilliant red berries in  November-December. Flocks of cedar waxwings and
other birds gorge on the  berries until they disappear. Attractive in flower as
well as fruit,  this native, non-invasive alternative to firethorn or
cotoneaster is a  must for bird-friendly gardens.

Holly-leaved  Cherry (Prunus ilicifolia). A lush green densely branched
versatile shrub that can be trained as a hedge or allowed to grow to a  20’
tree. Flowers attract insects (therefore birds) in spring; fruit  attracts
birds in late summer/fall. Slow growing, drought  tolerant.

Coffeeberry (Rhamnus californica). A  handsome shrub with dark green
foliage and stems that mature from  mahogany to brown. Looks good year round. Tiny
flowers attract  hummingbirds and native bees in spring. Berries go from
green to red to  chocolate in fall, and are consumed eagerly by birds.

Oregon Grape (Berberis aquifolium). The state shrub  of our neighboring
state thrives in part shade. Shiny green leaves and  yellow flower clusters
adorn it in spring. By fall, the flowers have  turned into purple berries that
the birds love. Cold weather infuses red  color to leaves.

In addition to food,  birds need a steady source of water, especially
during the dry, hot  summer months. Include a water feature in the garden: it may
be a simple  fountain or a more elaborate stream or pond, or something as
basic as a  bird bath that is cleaned and refilled, often several times a day
in  very hot weather. If you provide it, they will find it.

Shelter  is a critical component of bird habitat. Densely branching shrubs
thwart  larger predators and provide safe haven to small birds. Shrubs that
provide food as well as shelter do double duty, and are preferred  choices.

Each species has its own unique nesting  requirements, and it is best to
include trees and shrubs of varying  sizes in the garden to provide a
diversity of options for nesting  sites.

Interest in bird-friendly gardening is growing. For  some time now, the
Santa Clara Valley chapters of the Audubon Society  and the California Native
Plant Society have been presenting a joint  program at local libraries on the
topic of “Attracting Birds to the  Garden”. Toby Goldberg of Audubon
explains ecological concepts and the  bird species one can expect to see in the
Bay Area; I talk about  specific easy-to-grow native plants that will attract
birds to the  garden.

The attendance is always good (30-60, sometimes  more), the audience
attentive, and there is much Q&A afterwards.  Evidently, word travels on the
library grapevine, and invitations to  speak have been coming in a steady stream
this year. Toby and I are  delighted to speak to the Sierra Club on
September 24, 2009 at the  Saratoga Library. Details in the Events Calendar.

Arvind Kumar who serves on the Board of Directors of the  California Native
Plant Society and is an active chapter leader, grows  native plants in his
San Jose garden. He can be reached at _chhaprahiya at yahoo.com. _
(mailto:chhaprahiya at yahoo.com.)

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive  Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th  floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 21-27, 2010.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)