[Pollinator] A U.S. National Native Bee Monitoring Scheme

Sam Droege sdroege at usgs.gov
Mon Oct 26 04:18:13 PDT 2009

....just put out on the Beemonitoring listserv, but of relevance hear
since as there are some policy folks not present on the bee monitoring
listserv...so apologies for cross-posting.

All:

Gretchen LeBuhn, Ed Connor, and myself have been working this past year on
a survey design for North American Native Bees along with quite a number
of others (many thanks for all the data sharing).  We have submitted a
paper to Science and managed to be part of the 97% of the papers submitted
to Science that are rejected and so will submit down the food chain until,
perhaps, we have to self-publish.  In the meantime we have made a
presentation at the 2009 North American Pollinator Protection Campaign
meeting unveiling our strategy to wider scrutiny.

You can see that talk at:

http://www.slideshare.net/sdroege/survey-design-for-monitoring-north-american-native-bees

Not a lot of detail is presented as we didn't want to scare people with
statistics, but if you like such things we would be happy to email you a
draft.  You can reach me at sdroege at usgs.gov to do so.

We are now moving towards the negotiations table to start putting together
some funding.

Below are some of the essential elements.

1.  A statistically reasonable program can be put together that will
capture 1-2% per year changes in bee populations over a 5 year window
using 100 sampling sites.
2.  The sampling frame for those 100 sites is open to all sorts of
possibilities, but the answer (unless you want to define the goals,
definitions, and parameters differently) will always be 100.
3.  So, for example, we have proposed that the federal groups that manage
large amounts of public lands (USFS, USFWS, NPS, DOD, BLM, BuRec) all
could assess how their properties are doing using 100 surveys sites.  So,
too could a state or the USDA could sample all orchards across the U.S.
...and so forth.
4. A survey location is simply a transect of 24 or 30 bowls (we haven't
decided, the Canadians are using 30, so we may go that way for
comparability) of 3 colors, spaced 50m apart and run on an appropriate day
every 2 weeks throughout the season.  Each site would be run only 1 time
every 5 years and the starting year for sites would be spaced across four
years.
5.  Specimens will be bagged and shipped to 2 proposed processing centers.

6.  Costs per site will be low and overall costs will largely be that of
supporting a coordinator and technicians to process specimens.  As an
example we estimated if 4 programs were created for 4 different management
or agricultural groups, using 200 sites each (we used 200 rather than 100
so we would have a better initial estimation of change), they would
generate 170,000 specimens a year and in addition to the coordinator it
would take 2 additional people (FTE's) to process that amount.  (see
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBS/ for an example of a program, run by
volunteers, that drives much of the large scale conservation of birds).
7.  The beauty of this system, and any monitoring program, really; is that
it increases in statistical power with time.  As the system continues it
become possible to track trends of many of the individual species, look at
regional patterns, split things by guilds, genera, etc.
8. Because everything is standardized all sorts of biogeographical and
ecological analyses are possible.

Well, it looks like I will remain busy with all this for a few more
years.......

sam

Sam Droege  sdroege at usgs.gov
w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD  20705
Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

"They've got this steamroller going, and they won't stop until there's
nobody fishing. What are they going to do then, save some bees?"
Mike Russo

(Massachusetts fisherman who has fished cod for 18 years, on
environmentalist)
P Bees are not optional.