[Pollinator] Details about the Exciting Revision of Life, Ninth Edition by Sadava, Hillis, Heller, and Berenbaum

Jennifer Tsang jt at pollinator.org
Mon Sep 28 16:26:09 PDT 2009

We're pleased to announce the upcoming new edition of LIFE: THE SCIENCE OF
BIOLOGY by David Sadava, David Hillis, Craig Heller, and May Berenbaum
publishing later this year.

>From the first edition to the present, Life has set the standard for being
the most balanced experimentally-based introductory biology text. All of the
Ninth Edition's innovations-new authorship, new and reororganized chapters,
new experimental content, enhanced features, reinvisioned art, and new media
tools-are focused on giving students and instructors the best tools for
bringing the best of biological research and applications into the
introductory majors biology course.

Please visit
<http://click.mail.bfwpub.com/?qs=842a970c6d088739ba6dae7fa1ed03fe90be3630e3
2c03939cc88a2181ec8e7f>  this link to view the digital brochure and learn
more about the new edition. We are doing our part to reduce our
environmental footprint
<http://image.mail.bfwpub.com/lib/feed1c737d6c03/m/1/BatCover.jpg> so
<http://click.mail.bfwpub.com/?qs=842a970c6d088739ba6dae7fa1ed03fe90be3630e3
2c03939cc88a2181ec8e7f>  we can all have a better Life.

Here's a sneak peak at some of the exciting highlights:

New Author Partnership features:

*	An expanded role for David Hillis of the University of Texas is now
the author of all chapters in the units on Evolution (Chapters 21-25) and
Diversity (Chapters 26-33).
*	New author May Berenbaum of the University of Illinois-Champaign
Urbana. An acclaimed entomologist and award-winning teacher, Berenbaum is
the author of the Ecology unit (Chapters 54-59).

Life goes green.

New Experimental Coverage.

New Opening Stories.

New BioPortal packaged with every new copy includes Prep-U and the
interactive eBook.

Best wishes,

Sinauer Associates and W.H. Freeman and Company

The cover of Life captures many themes that echo throughout the book. The
photograph shows a southern long-nosed bat pollinating a saguaro cactus,
which exemplifies the complex interactions among many organisms. This bat is
an endangered species, and it depends on the copious quantities of nectar
produced by the saguaro cactus for its survival. The cactus, in turn,
depends on the bats for pollination, and thus reproduction. The two species
have coevolved in a close mutualistic association. In addition, the ability
of bats to hover as they feed on the nectar of the cactus is an excellent
example of adaptation of body form and physiology. These themes of
adaptation, evolution, nutrition, reproduction, species interactions, and
integrated form and function are ideas that are repeated throughout the
chapters of Life. Photograph copyright C Dr. Merlin D. Tuttle/Photo
Researchers, Inc.