[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Apis nearctica [1 Attachment]

John S. Ascher ascher at amnh.org
Mon Dec 6 11:48:57 PST 2010

Actually one specimen is all it takes to rewrite the history of Apis in
the new World.

Many of our most interesting fossils are known from unique specimens and
have rewritten evolutionary history.

A single positive datapoint overrules all previous evidence of absence.

For this reason it is often unwise to declare insects extinct:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9008000/9008585.stm

John

--
John S. Ascher, Ph.D.