[Pollinator] Fwd: CATCH THE BUZZ - Science Friday, Honey Bees and MORE!

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Thu Dec 23 11:16:46 PST 2010

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator  Partnership
P 415 362 1137
F 415 362 3070
423 Washington Street, 5th  Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)
_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)
LDA at pollinator.org

Take Action for Pollinators at _www.pollinator.org_
(http://www.pollinator.org/)

____________________________________
 From: Kim at BeeCulture.com
To: LDA at pollinator.org
Sent: 12/23/2010 9:06:53  A.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: CATCH THE BUZZ - Science Friday, Honey  Bees and MORE!

This ezine is also available online at
_http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010.12.23.11.32.archive.html_
(http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010.12.23.11.32.archive.html)

CATCH  THE BUZZ
Science Friday, Tom Seeley, Carl  Flatow, May Berenbaum – Happy Holidays!
This Friday,  December 24, the eve of the 200th Anniversary of the birth of
L. L.  Langstroth, the Public Radio program _Science  Friday_
(http://www.sciencefriday.com/) , with host Ira Flatow, has two guests - Dr. Tom Seeley
from  Cornell University, author of the recently published book _Honey Bee
Democracy_
(http://www.beeculture.com/content/HoneybeeDemocracy.Seeley.BeeCulture-Final.pdf)  (see a sample chapter on Bee  Culture’s web page) and May
Berenbaum, author of Honey, I’m Homemade  (Bee Culture’s Book Review at the
end of this message), on the second  hour of the show, both discussing the
role L. L. played in modern beekeeping.
But for the  10  best _honey bee videos_
(http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201012245)  you’ve ever seen, check out these,  with Carl
Flatow (of L. L. Langstroth Postage Stamp fame), Tom Seeley, and a  swarm of
honey bees...from the swarm leaving to setting up a new home right  here. I have
NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, seen this detail in a video series).
Please, pass  this along to anybody and everybody you know who will learn
from and enjoy  this information on bees, swarms, and beekeepers. And who can
check out either  the original show, or the archives later this week.
Thanks to  both Ira and Carl Flatow....Science at its best.
Bee  Culture’s Book Review of May  Berenbaum’s book published in the
December issue of Bee Culture...
Check out  Bee Culture magazine at _www. BeeCulture.com
_ (http://www.beeculture.com/)
____________________________________
Honey, I’m Homemade.  Sweet treats from the beehive across the centuries
and around the world.  Edited by May Berenbaum. 184  pages, 6.5” x 8”. B & W.
Soft cover. ISBN 9780252077449. $21.95 Published  by Univ Of IL Press.
May  Berenbaum is a prestigious researcher and scientist at  Univ IL. She
is the Swanlund Professor of Entomology  there, and has written a score of
other books about insects and people. She is  also involved with CCD research
and other projects. I’ve had the good fortune  to meet and talk with her on
a few occasions. This book is a collection of  recipes gathered from the
historic files of Univ IL Vern Milum, the IL State  Beekeepers historic
records, very special family friends and other places,  that have been updated,
modernized, or left as is, and include cookies, bard,  breads, muffins,
desserts, pies and puddings, cakes and more. Profits from the  sale of the book are
to be donated to help maintain the Univ of IL  Pollinatarium, a science
center devoted to flowering plants and their  pollinators.
At the  beginning are 20 some pages on honey bee lore, honey information,
and  pollination science and wisdom by the Editor, and at the end there is
information on honey festivals, and a great reference section. In between,
there’s all these recipes, a couple hundred by my reckoning. Some ethnic,
some  familiar, some to me unknown, some good, some better. It’s a fun stroll
through May’s good choices. If you are looking for a good honey cookbook,
this  is one to look at twice. And the money you spend helps a lot more than
just  the beekeepers who collect the honey you use.

____________________________________
Find out What Is New At Mann Lake right _Here_
(http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catchthebuzz/index.html)
Protein feeding pays off with  better health, better survival, better
production, and better  wintering. _Learn More._
(http://www.globalpatties.com/pages/why.html)
FREE - Kelley Bees  Modern Beekeeping Monthly _Newsletter_
(http://www.kelleybees.com/CMS/CMSPage.aspx?redirect=ec0f9b29-81f2-4a5f-9e9c-9182673c0329)
Quality Top Bar Hives by Gold Star  Honeybees - good for you, good for your
bees, good for the planet. Check us  out at _www.goldstarhoneybees.com_
(http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/) .
Subscribe to Malcolm Sanford’s _Apis Newsletter_
(http://www.apis.shorturl.com/)  right here for a  comprehensive listing of beekeeping events around
the country and around the  globe, check out _Bee  Culture’s_
(http://www.beeculture.com/)  _Global Beekeeping Calendar_
(http://my.calendars.net/bee_culture/)
This message brought to you by _Bee Culture,_ (http://www.beeculture.com/)
The Magazine Of American  Beekeeping, published by the _A.I. Root
Company._ (http://www.rootcandles.com/)
Order your 3 lb packages, nucs,  queens and hives from _LONG LANE HONEY BEE
 FARMS_ (http://honeybeesonline.com/) . And _click  here_
(http://basicbeekeeping.blogspot.com/)  to enjoy our FREE online beekeeping lessons."
Read an EXCLUSIVE CHAPTER  from Tom Seeley’s new book Honey Bee Democracy,
only on Bee Culture’s web page  _Here!_ (http://www.beeculture.com/conte
nt/HoneybeeDemocracy.Seeley.BeeCulture-Final.pdf)
Build an entire bee hive with just a table saw.
Go to _Garreson Publishing_
(http://www.makingbeehives.com/?utm_source=catchthebuzz&utm_medium=email&utm_content=garresonpublishing&utm_campaign=byline)
 . Books by Peter Sieling.

You received this email because you subscribed to Catch The  Buzz

_Change settings_ (http://member.ezezine.com/sub.ez?c=1636.21613.4146)
_Report abuse_ (https://member.ezezine.com/abuse.ez?e=1636.21613.4146)