[Pollinator] bee nests sites as a limiting factor

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Thu Feb 11 13:25:36 PST 2010

For solitary bees in Germany, it appears that nest site availability
limits population growth rates.

Steffan-Dewenter, I. and S. Schiele. 2008. Do resources or natural
enemies drive bee population dynamics in fragmented habitats. Ecology
89:1375-1387.

The relative importance of bottom-up or top-down forces has been
mainly studied for herbivores but rarely for pollinators. Habitat
fragmentation might change driving forces of population dynamics by
reducing the area of resource-providing habitats, disrupting habitat
connectivity, and affecting natural enemies more than their host
species. We studied spatial and temporal population dynamics of the
solitary bee Osmia rufa (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae) in 30 fragmented
orchard meadows ranging in size from 0.08 to 5.8 ha in an
agricultural landscape in central Germany. From 1998 to 2003, we
monitored local bee population size, rate of parasitism, and rate of
larval and pupal mortality in reed trap nests as an accessible and
standardized nesting resource. Experimentally enhanced nest site
availability resulted in a steady increase of mean local population
size from 80 to 2740 brood cells between 1998 and 2002. Population
size and species richness of natural enemies increased with habitat
area, whereas rate of parasitism and mortality only varied among
years. Inverse density-dependent parasitism in three study years with
highest population size suggests rather destabilizing instead of
regulating effects of top-down forces. Accordingly, an analysis of
independent time series showed on average a negative impact of
population size on population growth rates but provides no support
for top-down regulation by natural enemies. We conclude that
population dynamics of O. rufa are mainly driven by bottom-up forces,
primarily nest site availability.