[Pollinator] Bee Hunt

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 11:59:41 PST 2010

>From Discover Life Outreach:

We are excited to announce Bee Hunt, an  opportunity for you and your group
to participate in science research about the  natural world.  Many of you
already  know about our Bee Hunt project, but some of you do not, and we want
to get the  word out far and wide... help us spread the word!
Imagine a safari: You carefully stalk the striped  animal, aim your camera,
and bam!  …  from out of nowhere, a predator rushes in and nails it. You
get a great shot of  both predator and prey. Your one shot adds two new
species to your life list,  collects data for your own science project, and
collects data for national  research on climate change. Zebra and lion? No, your
striped animal was a  bumblebee; its predator, an assassin bug.  You don’t
have to go to the Serengeti to experience the drama of the  natural world; it’
s right in your own backyard. Welcome to Bee Hunt.
Bee Hunt is a project of Discover Life  (_www.discoverlife.org_
(http://www.discoverlife.org/) ). Discover Life provides unique online tools for
studying natural history and tracking the impacts of ecological problems. We are
building a network of study sites across North America and we’d like to
invite  you to participate!
This partnership for hands-on research in the  field offers something for
everyone.  Teachers and students who use Bee Hunt to conduct their own
original  research will be more engaged in science. Bee Hunt is ideal for
independent  projects like scouting merit badges, 4-H projects and homeschool
studies. Park  managers and nature centers can use Bee Hunt to monitor native
pollinators and  to teach environmental education. Amateur naturalists, farmers,
beekeepers,  gardeners, and nature photographers can use Bee Hunt to store
photographs and  keep a life list of species they find in the field.
Discover Life will map all  these data so that our scientific partners can better
understand the impact of  climate change and other factors on
plant-pollinator interactions, geographic  distributions, and seasonal abundances.
Bee Hunt will begin on or around Earth Day, April 22, 2010 and will
continue throughout the season. We hope you will find it such a great way to
teach and learn about pollination ecology that you will continue into future
seasons as well. Bee Hunt is a participatory science research project. It's
YOUR  research. YOU are the scientists. Grab your camera, get outside, and
please join  us!
To  learn more about Bee Hunt, visit _www.discoverlife.org/bee_
(http://www.discoverlife.org/bee) ,  and contact me at _nancy at discoverlife.org_
(mailto:nancy at discoverlife.org) .
I hope to hear from you soon.
Nancy Lowe
Outreach Coordinator
Discover Life

--
Jill  Talmadge
Outreach Coordinator

Laurie Davies Adams
Executive  Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington Street, 5th  floor
San Francisco, CA  94111
415-362-1137
LDA at pollinator.org

_www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)

_www.nappc.org_ (http://www.nappc.org/)

National Pollinator Week is June 21-27, 2010.
Beecome  involved at _www.pollinator.org_ (http://www.pollinator.org/)