[Pollinator] Can you help with evidence that the commercial bumble bee is spreading disease?

Sarina Jepsen sarina at xerces.org
Thu Jan 14 13:55:28 PST 2010

A few questions have arisen regarding the link between diseases from
commercial bumble bees and the decline of wild bumble bees, in regard to
the recent petition submitted to the USDA-APHIS by the Xerces Society
/et al./ and some media stories about that petition. Unfortunately, some
of the media stories contained misleading information.

Two recent studies have been published that provide a direct link
between diseases in commercial bumble bees and the health of wild bumble
bees:

Otterstatter, M.C., and J.D. Thomson. 2008. Does Pathogen Spillover from
Commercially Reared Bumble Bees Threaten Wild Pollinators? /PLoS One./
Available online at http://www.plosone.org/doi/pone.0002771

Colla, S.R., M.C. Otterstatter, R.J. Gegear, and J.D. Thomson. 2006.
Plight of the Bumblebee: Pathogen Spillover from Commercial to Wild
Populations. /Biological Conservation/ 129: 461-467.

Otterstatter and Thomson note, in the Discussion section of their 2008
paper:

"Based on our model, and our observations near greenhouses, it is
probable that destructive pathogens have been spilling over into wild
bee populations since the collapse of commercial /B. occidentalis/
during the late 1990s, and this has contributed to the ongoing collapse
of wild /Bombus/ sensu stricto."

These studies show that wild bumble bees near greenhouses have higher
pathogen loads (of /Crithidia bombi/ and /Nosema bombi/) than bumble
bees farther away from greenhouses. While these studies demonstrate the
mechanism by which pathogens can be transferred from commercial bumble
bees in greenhouses to wild bumble bees, they do not prove that disease
from commercially reared bumble bees caused the precipitous decline that
has been observed in /Bombus affinis, Bombus franklini, Bombus terricola
/and/ Bombus occidentalis/. Dr. Robbin Thorp's hypothesis that these
species were infected by a selectively virulent strain of /Nosema bombi/
that originated in Europe is currently being tested by Dr. Sydney
Cameron, Dr. Lee Solter, Dr. Jamie Strange, and others. Regardless of
whether or not their work identifies a "smoking gun," the Xerces Society
asserts that diseases from commercially transported bumble bees present
a significant risk to wild, native bumble bees, and this risk warrants
new regulations. We support the development of federal regulations that
take a precautionary approach to safeguarding our wild, native
pollinators. In fact, the USDA-APHIS conducted their own risk assessment
in the 1990s and concluded that the risks to wild, native bumble bees
were too great to allow /Bombus impatiens/ to be shipped outside of its
native range (west of the Rockies). For various reasons, they stopped
regulating the interstate transport of this species -- we're asking that
they reinstate that old regulation and develop some disease
certification standards.

I'd also like to point out that there is no evidence demonstrating that
moving bumble bees outside of their native ranges is safe for wild
bumble bees. Because there are no federal regulations in place regarding
the interstate transport of bumble bees, commercial bumble bees are
currently not inspected for diseases when they're moved between states.
Dr. Paul Williams and Dr. Juliet Osborne, in their 2009 review paper
"Bumble bee vulnerability and conservation worldwide/" /(published in
/Apidologie/), recommend: "Until proven safe, we recommend that live
bumblebees should not be moved across continents or oceans for
commercial pollination." As an aside, APHIS does not allow bumble bees
to be imported from other countries (except Canada) - we support that
regulation.

In a recent post on the BOMBUS and POLLINATOR listservs, Marilyn Steiner
brought up the issue of habitat loss affecting bumble bees. The Xerces
Society recognizes that there are many issues that may negatively impact
wild bumble bees, including disease, habitat loss, and pesticide use.
The USDA-APHIS does not have the regulatory authority to address habitat
loss or pesticide use threats, and thus our petition did not address
those two issues. We do recognize that those issues may be important
factors contributing to the decline of wild bumble bees, and we have
been addressing them through our other pollinator conservation work.

Best,
Sarina Jepsen

*The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation*

The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit
organization that protects wildlife through the
conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.
To join the Society, make a contribution, or read
about our work, please visit www.xerces.org

Sarina Jepsen
Endangered Species Program Director
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97215
tel: 503-232-6639 fax: 503-233-6794
email: sarina at xerces.org