[Pollinator] Tuesday, January 26 NOVA The Incredible Journey of the Butterflies

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Jan 28 09:10:03 PST 2010

Dear All:

Yes, I watched the program a second time.  This time my non-biologist wife
(she's a registered nurse) watched as well and she was impressed and
delighted.  It really is a magnificent documentary (it's always a privilege
to hear Lincoln Brower) but I have two questions for general discussion,

1)  How is it possible to show footage of caterpillars and egg-laying adult
monarchs without using the word, milkweed, even once?

2)  If monarchs don't reproduce on the trip south why do we in New York and
Missouri find caterpillars on milkweeds in late September - October?
 Asclepias tuberosa is now a common garden plant in Missouri.  My neighbors
always crow in delight when they find caterpillars on it in the autumn.

Peter Bernhardt