[Pollinator] "Sustainable Agriculture Spotlight" with Jeff Birkby about pollinators

Matthew Shepherd (Xerces Society) mdshepherd at xerces.org
Fri Jul 23 09:37:04 PDT 2010

Peter,

I totally agree with you about the lack of pollinator-need for wind-pollinated nuts, and there is certainly some question about the need to bees in orange groves (and, as readers of this list will know, there has been efforts by some citrus growers to exclude honey bees from wide areas around seedless varieties).

Unfortunately, as anyone who works with the media can attest, there are times when we suffer from inaccuracies or sweeping comments written by members of the media. The program description I pasted into my email to the list was posted by VoiceAmerica onto their web site some days ahead of the broadcast. It does not reflect what was said by the guests during the subsequent broadcast.

Ensuring that journalists and others have accurate information is a never-ending task. Even when they have got the correct information, there is no guarantee that it will be published accurately! On this occasion, it my be best to take it up directly with VoiceAmerica.

Matthew