[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 02/22/10 (Costa Rica Pollinators)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Sat Mar 20 05:48:46 PDT 2010

Although some folks seem to think all pollination is conducted by Honey Bees, many other organisms from butterflies to bats play a role in carrying pollen from one flower to the next. As part of our study of Ruby-throated Hummingbird behavior in Central America, we're interested in whether this migratory species that spends half its life in the Neotropics is as important a pollinator "down there" as it is "up here" on breeding grounds in the U.S. and Canada.

The current installment of "This Week at Hilton Pond" includes some of our most recent discoveries about plants visited—and likely pollinated—by RTHU here and abroad. To view the 22-28 February 2010 photo essay with lots of Costa Rica flower pictures, please visit http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek100222.html .

While there, be sure to scroll down for an account of birds banded or recaptured at Hilton Pond during the current period; there's also a personal note about the passing of a patriarch.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
(803) 684-5852

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org