[Pollinator] Bumble Bee Importation - History and Questions - Any help out there?

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon May 24 09:03:15 PDT 2010

Please send responses to katrina at shangrilafarms.com

In a message dated 5/24/2010 9:59:57 A.M. Romance Daylight Time,
katrina at shangrilafarms.com writes:

Hello,

My name is Katrina Klett, I am a beekeeper from the United States.   I am
currently living in China, working with a native species of bee here to  try
and establish a vocational training school for local farmers.  We  hope to
protect the native species of bee (cerana) in this area, and create a
critical mass of beekeepers in the area.

I have read your pollinator protection report, from August 15th  2006.  I
am currently working on an article for the ABJ, which I am  talking about
using cerana vs mellifera and the importation of one into the  other's area,
(although to be fair the issue today is the importation of  mellifera into
cerana area).  I plan to frame this conversation to  include larger bee
importation issues, such as Australian bees into US,  bumblebees into Mexico, etc.

I am wondering if you have any good sources to the history of bee
importation.  What do you feel about importing different species of  pollinators,
and is there a possible balance to be had?  Thank you so  much for youime,
Katrina Klett