[Pollinator] Graduate Research Assistantship -- alkali bee environmental assessment

Matthew Shepherd mdshepherd at xerces.org
Tue Nov 2 11:13:35 PDT 2010

NB: I am only passing this along. Please DO NOT contact me for more info.
Details of who to contact are at the bottom. Thanks.

Graduate Research Assistantship

Alkali Bee Environmental Assessment in the Walla Walla Valley

This project will involve a comprehensive environmental assessment of the
habitat requirements of the alkali bee Nomia melanderi. The Alkali bee
colonies that are established and managed in the Walla Walla Valley of
Washington State are the greatest aggregation of native ground-dwelling bees
used for pollination in commercial agriculture in the world. The project
will involve detailed environmental measurement of the conditions below and
above ground in and near alkali bee beds. Techniques will be developed and
evaluated to quantify alkali bee population abundance among bee beds.
Mitigation efforts will be developed and evaluated to limit collateral bee
death from motor vehicular traffic. This is a PhD project and is funded for
a period up to 4 years.

A O.50 FTE Graduate Research Assistantship will be provided and tuition
expenses paid during academic semesters and a summer hourly wage will be
provided. Some subsidized student housing may be available in Prosser, WA on
a first-come first-served basis.

For more information contact

Dr. Doug Walsh <http://entomology.wsu.edu/Profiles/walsh.html>
WSU Irrigated Agriculture Research and Extension Center
Prosser, WA 99350
509-786-9287, dwalsh at wsu.edu  <emailto:dwalsh at wsu.edu> (11/2010)