[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 08/27/10 (Mt. Cuba Center DE)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Thu Sep 2 17:05:05 PDT 2010

Many folks don't realize the Carolinas encompass only a small part of the Piedmont, which stretches all the way from southern New York to central Alabama. We've just returned from the "upper end" of the region in northern Delaware, where we held our final "Hummingbird Mornings" event of 2010 at Mt. Cuba Center. This amazing facility celebrates native plants of the Piedmont, so our "This Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay concentrates on wildflowers and the insects and birds that pollinate them. To view, please visit http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek100827.html

Our latest edition includes info about two scholarships available for our hummingbird expedition to Costa Rica in January 2011. If you've always wanted to study hummers in the warm, sunny Neotropics when winter is at its worst in much of North America, here's your chance to receive a $1,799 trip scholarship and get a tax deduction while supporting Hilton Pond Center's education, research, and conservation endeavors.

Don't forget to scroll down for a list of birds banded at Hilton Pond during the most recent period, as well as a couple of miscellaneous observations.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org