[Pollinator] alien pollinators

Robert Pemberton pembert3 at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 23 13:21:34 PDT 2010

Hello Maria, Liz, and interested listserve members,

I am responding to a recent query requesting information about studies involving alien pollinators. I have done a number of such studies, many with former post doc Hong Liu,  involving two tropical American solitary bees that have naturalized in southern Florida. One is the orchid bee, Euglossa viridissima, and the other an oil-collecting bee, Centris nitida. We also did a study on the pollination of the invasive weed Paederia foetida which was pollinated in open habitats in Florida primarily by honey bees.

I am continuing to do research on these alien pollinators and also the pollination of alien plants.

Best Regards, Bob

Robert Pemberton Ph.D.

Below are papers published on these studies. I can provide pdfs to interested people.

Liu, H., R.W. Pemberton and P. Stiling. 2006. Native and introduced pollinators promote an invasive woody vine (Paederia foetida L) in Florida. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 133: 304-311.

Pemberton, R.W. 2007. Invasive orchid bee, Euglossa viridissima, pollinates the ornamental orchid (Guarianthe skinneri) in Florida. Lankesteriana 7: 461-468.

Pemberton, R.W. 2008. Pollination of the ornamental Oncidium sphacelatum by the naturalized oil-collecting bee (Centris nitida) in Florida. Selbyana 29: 87-91.

Pemberton, R.W. and H. Liu. 2008. A naturalized orchid bee pollinates resin reward flowers in southern Florida; novel and known mutualisms. Biotropica 40: 714-718.

Liu, H, and R.W. Pemberton. 2009. Invasive orchid bee outperforms co-occurring native bees to promote fruit set in an invasive Solanum. Oecologia 159: 515-525.

Liu, H. and R.W. Pemberton. 2010. Pollination of an invasive orchid (Cyrtopodium polyphyllum) by an invasive oil-collecting bee (Centris nitida) in southern Florida.  Canadian J. Botany.88: 290-295.