[Pollinator] Propylene glycol and cats

Stoner, Kimberly Kimberly.Stoner at ct.gov
Wed Apr 6 12:51:14 PDT 2011

In relation to propylene glycol and cats:

Apparently cats do have unique sensitivity to propylene glycol, which is not true of humans, dogs, or cattle.

See this publication by the American Chemistry Council, not a group of "chemophobes" by any stretch of the imagination:
http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0046/0901b80380046c77.pdf?filepath=propyleneglycol/pdfs/noreg/117-01660.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

and this article on "Heinz body formation in cats" from a veterinary school:
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/tarigo/index.php

"Propylene glycol (PG) is a common cause of HzB in cats. PG is a polyhydric alcohol used commonly as a solvent and preservative in pharmaceuticals, and as an inexpensive carbohydrate source in semi-moist foods for animals.3"

3. Christopher MM, White JG, Eaton JW. Erythrocyte pathology and mechanisms of Heinz body-mediated hemolysis in cats. Vet Pathol. 27:299-310. 1990.
It would be wise to put the propylene glycol traps in locations where cats would not have access to them (inside fences, perhaps?)  I'll think about that for the traps I intend to be putting out next week!

Kim Stoner