[Pollinator] Goose Article

Hank acorn at treenuts.ca
Sat Apr 30 07:48:19 PDT 2011

Hello Joanne,

Thanks for the heads up on the goose matter.

I have a thought for you about where some races of Canada geese choose to build their nest.

The Canada Goose Branta canadensis, once endangered, now thrives in urban areas in part by nesting on lawns (http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=35). They prefer mown lawns because they can see danger at a distance.

If you don't want too many geese nearby, mow less lawn, or even none at all. Allow a native plant upland meadow to replace it. Result: few if any goose nests, a natural habitat without pollution, and healthier pollinator populations ready to work your food gardens. For example, a meadow like the 3D Allbirch Pollinator Garden (APG).

Ask management to switch from mown lawn to upland meadow to solve their goose problem.

Cheers,
Hank

PS... See the APG at work at the Canadian Museum of Nature, and tell your friends, too.
---