[Pollinator] "For Gifts; a Crop of the Creams" NYTimes

Sunny Boyd sun at pollinator.org
Thu Dec 1 14:36:17 PST 2011

Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm got voted a top pick for lips by the NY Times
and the Pollinator Partnership got a mention.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/fashion/product-picks-for-2011-skin-deep.h
tml?_r=4

For Gifts, a Crop of the Creams

By HILARY HOWARD

AS the Beauty Spots columnist, I receive an overwhelming number of samples.
Although many items end up in shopping bags under my desk or donated to
charity, I make an earnest attempt to try as many eye creams, lip glosses
and nail polishes as possible. Life is tough, I know.

Enlarge
<javascript:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/12/01/fashion
/01skindeep.html','01skindeep_html','width=422,height=630,scrollbars=yes,too
lbars=no,resizable=yes')>  This Image

<javascript:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/12/01/fashion
/01skindeep.html','01skindeep_html','width=422,height=630,scrollbars=yes,too
lbars=no,resizable=yes')>

Tony Cenicola/The New York Times

Some of the product picks for 2011. More
<http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/11/28/fashion/20111201_skindeep.html>
Photos »

Multimedia

<http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/11/28/fashion/20111201_skindeep.html?
ref=fashion> Slide Show

Beauty
<http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/11/28/fashion/20111201_skindeep.html?
ref=fashion>  Product Picks for 2011

As I dabbled, smeared, buffed and scribbled this year, I grew quite fond of
(and in some cases, dependent on) a number of products, listed below. Each
one would make an excellent stocking stuffer.

SKIN CARE

Dior Capture Totale One Essential Skin Boosting Super Serum

This smooth, pearly potion features 21 purportedly detoxifying and antiaging
ingredients, including detoxinyle (an algae extract) and the plant extract
alpha longoza. It goes on like silk ($95, Dior counters).

Yes to Tomatoes Clear Skin Pore Scrub

Most facial exfoliants are either too abrasive or too subtle. This product
has a salty, soupy texture that is oddly satisfying (try to refrain from
tasting). Ingredients include the antioxidant lycopene (naturally present in
tomatoes), salicylic acid, ground bamboo and mango seeds ($9.99,
yestocarrots.com).

Clé de Peau Beauté Intensive Eye Contour Cream

Encased in a sparkling jar with a platinum eye-massaging wand attached, this
pale green cream features a proprietary “illuminating complex” that contains
a retinol derivative. Applying the cream with the wand in tiny circles feels
refreshing and nurturing (for $250, it had better). Available at select
department stores, including Bergdorf Goodman.

LIPS

CoverGirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm

There are 16 shades of this highly moisturizing gloss-balm hybrid with a
subtle staining effect. My favorite: Peony Pivoine, a dark berry that adds a
natural-looking red tone ($6.49 each, covergirl.com).

Urban Decay Stardust Sparkling Lip Gloss

A pick-me-up in a tube. These mint-flavored, glittering glosses have
impressive staying power. Space Cowboy (sheer nude) has a mother-of-pearl
tone, while the hot pink Glitter Rock (sheer fuchsia) is ready to party. My
favorite, Andromeda (sheer peachy pink), is flirtatiously iridescent ($19,
urbandecay.com).

Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm

The color is slight, but you can’t beat the nurturing sensation of beeswax
on your lips. There’s also the do-good angle: Burt’s Bees has been raising
awareness about the importance of bees since its inception 27 years ago.
This earth-friendly company recently collaborated with the Pollinator
Partnership, a nonprofit organization that fosters the health of pollinating
animals through research, conservation and education ($7, burtsbees.com).

HAIR

Julien Farel Restore

This year, Mr. Farel, a celebrity stylist, introduced a new hair-care line
made in Italy that comes in three formulas: Hydrate; Vitamin (for
color-treated hair); and Zero-Frizz (curly hair). The shampoo ($33) and
conditioner ($23) leave no residue and smell like Creamsicles (julienfa
rel.com).

EYES

Clinique Lid Smoothie Antioxidant 8-Hour Eye Colour

These refreshing cream eye shadows include extracts of vitamin E and
vegetables like broccoli and spinach, as well as caffeine to give tired eyes
a boost. Most of the 12 colors have some shimmer ($19.50, clinique.com).

MAC Snow Globe Eye Shadows

These palettes offer three six-color combinations: cool (blues and purples),
warm (earth tones) and sultry (reds and pinks), but the best part is the
mood-enhancing snow-globe tops ($38, maccosmetics.com).

HANDS

Nails Inc. Porchester Square Polish, Hand Cream and Vitamin E Pen

All colors in this trendy British line are named after English destinations,
like Gatwick (matte red) and Piccadilly Circus (dark pink cerise). My
favorite is Porchester Square (muted mushroom, $19.50). Enriched with caviar
extract, the hand cream ($18) is nongreasy, and the pen ($10) is the easiest
way I’ve found to condition cuticles.

NARS Space Odyssey Nail Polish

Glittery polishes often suffer from lack of opacity. Not this one. After two
coats, I’m staring at futuristic, metallic, sparkly nails. Part of the
Holiday 2011 Color Collection ($17, narscosmetics.com).

Julep Nail Color

Original on-trend colors with great staying power; I particularly like Zoe
(burnt umber; $14 at julep.com).

FRAGRANCE

Dolce & Gabbana Rose the One

The scent of rose has always had a calming effect on me. Fresh citrus top
notes include pink grapefruit and mandarin, so the scent is not too
cloyingly floral (starting at $62, saks.com).

Valentina

An ultra-feminine perfume introduced this fall by the house of Valentino.
Notes include Calabrian bergamot, white Alba truffle, jasmine and Amalfi
orange blossom. The couture bottle, the “free-spirited heiress” marketing
campaign and the fragrance itself make one want to don a slip dress and run
barefoot through the streets of Rome at night. The scent, which starts at
$80, will be sold at Valentino boutiques in the United States starting this
month.

FACE

Miracle Skin Transformer Treat & Conceal

This light and airy concealer contains color minerals, mica and natural
silicones, as well as vitamins K and F, thought to have antiaging properties
($36, miracleskintransformer.com).

Intellishade SPF 45 Matte

I thought I lost my tube at the airport a few months ago and panicked. It is
the product I am most excited about from 2011, as it combines a moisturizer,
high SPF and natural-looking tint that adjusts to different skin tones.
Glides on and doesn’t leave the face feeling dirty ($48,
intellishadespf45.com).

Mally Poreless Evercolor Face Defender

The Defender has a cult following and has been selling like hotcakes on QVC
for months now. It acts like a finishing powder, but is in actuality a hard
gel-like substance that makes pores disappear and softens your whole look
($40, mallybeauty.com).

FEET

Bliss Mistle Toes Gift Set

This is around the time of year when feet, especially sporty feet, dry out.
The soothing, gel-lined socks in this kit hydrate, while the Foot Patrol
exfoliates with alpha hydroxy and salicylic acids ($48, blissworld.com).

BATH

Lush Holiday and Seasonal Bath Bombs

These are such a pleasure, from the optional packaging reminiscent of an
old-fashioned popcorn bag to the sweet-smelling fizz that erupts when the
bombs are plopped into the water. Bath bombs are also kid-friendly; some are
vegan
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/v/veganism/ind
ex.html?inline=nyt-classifier>  ($3.95 to $6.95). New this season are
Bubbleroons ($5.95), which don’t fizz but produce an impressive bubble bath
(lushusa.com).

BeadforLife Shea Butter Soap

The nonprofit BeadforLife (beadforlife.org), known for its beads made of
recycled paper, is now helping some 760 Ugandan women produce shea butter
products. Buying a $4 bar of their extraordinarily rich soap is a win-win.

SERVICES

Glam a Go-Go Gift Certificate

Maria Bonita, a Brazilian salon and spa in NoLIta, offers a deep
hair-conditioning treatment (using the salon’s protein-rich formula, Envix),
manicure, blowout and cocktail service all in an hour ($98,
mariabonitany.com).

Henri Bendel New York Gift Certificate

Most any excuse to visit this Fifth Avenue landmark is understandable, but
new to the store is Blink, a threading salon that also offers lash tinting.
As a pale-lashed person who dislikes mascara, I’m a big fan of tinting,
which costs $40 and lasts up to six weeks (henribendel.com
<http://www.henribendel.com/> ).

Sunny Boyd

Webmaster

Pollinator Partnership